Tattoo art is all about adorning your body with beautiful designs, which also convey a significant meaning. Some of the popular choices for tattoo art are natural objects such as flowers, butterflies, dragonflies, hummingbirds, celestial bodies and fish, while other elements such as tribal art and religious symbols are also famed as tattoo designs. Among the birds, dove tattoos hold a special place due to their immense beauty and deep symbolism, which makes them a favorite among men and women around the world. Though we have also seen sparrows and bluebirds among body art, but there is no denying that doves have always been special and will continue to be so, whenever we talk about tattoos. There is something very graceful and charming about these feathered creatures, which make them an unrivalled tattoo design loved by tattoo artists as well as tattoo enthusiasts around the globe.
Table of Contents
Symbolic Significance of Dove Tattoos
Doves have been revered for their beauty as well as symbolic significance in various religions and cultures around the world. Each of them relates this alluring little bird with some specific meaning. Here are some symbolic meanings which are associated with these beautiful creatures:
1. Doves are regarded as the symbols of faith in Christianity, as they have been used as a mark of the Holy Spirit in this religion. In fact, dove has found mention in the Bible as well as the ancient Christian art, such as the instance where it has been pictured carrying the twig to Noah, marking the end of the great flood. It has also been imaged to be there while Jesus was being baptized by John the Baptist. At some instances, it has been pictutred with Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ. Therefore, on the basis of the symbolic meaning in Christian religion, dove tattoos are popular among the followers of the religion.
2. Dove has been revered as a symbol of peace and hope since ancient times. It has also been associated with goodwill, which makes it a positive choice for tattoo bearers of all ages and both the sexes. To add to it, this particular tattoo design bears unmatched beauty too.
3. It has also been regarded as a symbol of divine inspiration, bringing hope and faith in the life of the bearer when borne in the form of a dove tattoo. The tattoo stands as a witness of the spiritual devotion of the bearer and also his unrelenting faith in his religion. The bird is also related to purity and sacrifice.
4. In Christian as well as Celtic mythology, the bird is revered as a symbol of well being, love, protection and pure and virginal qualities.
5. Another interpretation related with this pious bird links them with motherhood, due to its link with the mythological characters of Mother Mary and Venus. According to the legend, doves have fed Zeus, which gives them the image of motherhood. This is the reason why it is befitting to bear a dove tattoo as a dedication to your mother.
6. In Celtic culture, doves have been seen as messengers who bring omens of good or evil. In Japanese legend, these birds were believed to carry the message from the God of War, declaring the end of the battle by bringing along a sword. A popular dove tattoo design displays the dove bearing an olive branch in its mouth.
7. Some people consider the dove tattoo to be a symbol of afterlife, in the form of a human soul which gets liberated at the end of its life to meet its destiny after death.
8. Dove tattoos also make an ideal tattoo design for newly-weds as they mark the beginning of a new life with undying faith, love and devotion towards each other. The special event in the lives of the couple can be commemorated by having this tattoo inked on both the bride and the groom, and the date of the wedding may also be added to it to make the event even more memorable.
In this way, dove tattoos have a large number of symbolic meanings related with it, which has made them a much loved design among tattoo lovers around the world.
Popular Dove Tattoo Designs
Doves, with all their aesthetic beauty as well as symbolic meanings, make a great choice for tattoo lovers as well as tattoo artists, who can use their creativity to bring out some absolutely unique tattoo designs. This is the reason why you are likely to find a great variety in this versatile design option. Here are some popular dove tattoo designs:
- A single tattoo stands for purity and virginal beauty, which stands as a symbol of the commitment of the bearer to value his or her virginity before marriage and fidelity towards his or her partner later on.
- Similarly, a pair of beautiful doves holding a branch makes a wonderful tattoo design for a couple, which signifies their love and passion for each other. The tattoo can be inked as a couples tattoo on both the partners in love or marriage.
- A dove tattoo along with a date of passing away of a loved one can be inked as a memory of that person and be borne as a symbol of afterlife.
- Similarly, a dove tattoo along with a country’s flag is another popular option among dove tattoo designs as it marks world peace, which is the symbolism represented by a dove.
While dove tattoos done in traditional black or grey ink remain the eternal favorites, a unique effect can be created by having the dove tattoo done in white ink, as it relates the tattoo with great purity. But white tattoos need to be chosen and inked with great care as they do not look good on all skin tones. On the other hand, if you have the white dove tattoos done by an expert, it can look absolutely stunning.
Some other amazing dove tattoo designs can be created with doves as the centerpiece by adding different elements to it, such as flowers, twigs, stars, waves and some special text such as names of the loved ones and some special quotes which define the attitude of the bearer.
Placement of Dove Tattoos
Like all other tattoos, the placement of dove tattoos too depends upon their size and design, and of course, the preference of the tattoo bearer. since the aim of tattoo art is to attract attention, it needs to be inked at such a spot where the tattoo is visible, and at the same time, it should be easy to conceal whenever the need arises for the same.
Larger dove tattoos can be featured on areas such as stomach, rib, sleeve, thigh, back, spine, chest, while smaller ones can be done on the legs, wrist and ankle, side of the ear, back of the neck and even on fingers. The beauty and aesthetic value of the tattoo purely depends upon the creativity and skill of the tattoo artist.
Dove tattoos make a great choice for the first timers as it gives a perfect balance between aesthetic beauty and symbolic significance. Therefore, you must consider this design and discuss it with the artist before finalizing the best one for you.
Popular Images Of Dove Tattoos