Sunflower tattoos are some of the adornments that you can commonly see on many people’s body these days. Have you heard about these flower tattoos? Are you one of those people who are very interested about these? Well, if you are thinking that a sunflower is only about a gorgeous tattoo design, then you are absolutely wrong. The truth is, there are some more deeper meanings about these flower tattoos. But before knowing them, let’s try to know about the sunflower first.
Table of Contents
Taking a Glimpse on Sunflower’s History
The very first grown sunflower was spotted in the beautiful country of Mexico, a number of years in the past. It was during the time when the Inca Empire was still active in pre-Columbian America. The ancient Incas used to worship this flower because they had this belief that it represented the sun, which happened to be their God. During the 16th century, the sunflower was brought in the continent of Europe and in some other parts of the world.
Know If They Perfectly Fit You
Even though a sunflower can be a very gorgeous adornment on a person’s body, you should know that not all people can give justice to this tattoo when engraved on their body. In other words, such flower design is not for all. In case you are curious enough if you are one of those people who can perfectly wear sunflower design tattoos, then here are some signs that you can take into account:
- You are a flower lover – Of course, you can never be a perfect candidate for having a sunflower if you are not a flower lover. You won’t dare to engrave tattoo designs on your body that you don’t like, right? Thus, only flower lovers can wear this tattoo design with confidence.
- You are a positive thinker – The explanation for this is that a sunflower is just like the sun, and when we say sun, it signifies new day, new beginning, and hope. This is why a sunflower is perfect for those positive thinkers. The tattoo will certainly tell other people how positive you are as a person.
- You are a fun-loving individual – A sunflower also signifies fun. Hence, this is your perfect choice of a tattoo design if you are naturally funny and you always want to have some fun. Boringness is not what the flower symbolizes. People will certainly know that you are fun to be with them.
- You love sunshine – As said, a sunflower represents the sun. Hence, if you are not a sunshine lover, then you are definitely an imperfect candidate for having this tattoo. In case you are a flower lover however, you can still choose some other flower tattoos such as rose tattoos and daisy tattoos.
As what being said, a sunflower is more than just a beautiful body adornment. It represents a lot of things that every tattoo lover should know. This is also something that those not that lovers of tattoos should know because who knows, you might just change your perceptions about tattoos after knowing their deeper significance in people’s lives.
- A sunflower has a color of yellow. Because of this color, the flower has been considered to be a great symbol of intelligence, vitality, and happiness.
- Sunflowers are very auspicious. This is according to the ancient Chinese mythology. Because of this, this flower has been known as a symbol of long life and good fortune amongst its wearers.
- Such flower has something to do with God. This was what people from the ancient Incas civilization used to believe in. These people considered sun as their God. And since sunflower looks exactly the sun in the sky and has some of its adorable characteristics, ancient Incas were known to be the worshippers of the said flower.
- A sunflower symbolizes harvest and bounty. This is according to the native American culture. Native Americans came up with this belief since the flower has a strong relation to the sun. Without the sun, the people’s harvest can never be bountiful. These native Americans also believed that the sunflower had something to do with energy and fertility.
- It is a symbol of spiritual love. This is according to the Esoteric Chistianity. The people who are into Esoteric Christianity believe that a sunflower is a sign of spiritual attainment. To them, the flower also represent strong faith in God amongst Christians.
Flowers are most beautiful and vibrant creations of nature, which gives them a place of reverence in various art forms, including tattoo art. This is the reason why you would find floral tattoos being one of the most common tattoo designs since the beginning of this art form. Rose, lotus, cherry blossoms and daffodils are some of the best loved flowers used in floral designs, but sunflower have an alluring quality and aesthetic value of their own. Sunflowers, as the name suggests, are related to the sun, which is witnessed by the amazing ability of the flower to grow and move in the direction of the sun. The color of the flower is bright and sunny, which evokes a feeling of joy and hope in the onlooker. This has earned the flower a reputation of being the flower of happiness and jovial nature.
Sunflower and Color Therapy
Sunflower is closely linked with color healing therapy or the chakra therapy, due to its vibrant yellow color, which plays a key role in chakras of the human body. The yellow color of this flower bears a close relationship with the Manipura or solar plexus chakra, which is related with the forces of intellect and self awareness in human beings. Therefore, yellow or the color of the sunflower can rightly be termed as the color of the consciousness of the mind. Since color therapy aims to balance these chakras with the help of meditation and creating a harmony in the level of color rays in the body, sunflower finds an important place in this system of holistic healing too.
Popular Tattoo Designs For Sunflower
Sunflower tattoo designs make a great choice among women because of their radiant and feminine looks, but the design is quite versatile and can be made to suit men too. There is a great variety in designs options for sunflower. Here are some popular:
Single Sunflower Designs – A single sunflower can be a complete design in itself because there is something very attractive and beautiful about this flower, which makes it stand out in its singularity too. Besides the simple floral option, tattoo artists have make some variations in the design to create something distinctive and unique. The central disc of the flower can be modifies for this purpose, such as a word or a phrase can be added to it or a tribal elements such as a dreamcatchers, stars, anchors, arrows can be fitted therein. Others can have the petals depicted in the form of feathers, flames or wings. For women looking for feminine sunflower art, elements such as butterflies, dragonflies and hummingbirds can be incorporated in the basic design to so the trick.
Sunflower Clusters Tattoo Designs – Instead of going in for conventional single sunflower design, tattoo lovers can try some innovative design options such as sunflower cluster tattoo designs, which could include these bright flowers in multitude and create an eye catching impact.
A few other flowers such as roses and cherry blossoms can be included in the pattern to add on the aesthetic appeal of the design. The flowers can be inter-connected with the help of vines and musical notes. All that is needed is the creativity of the tattoo artist and some unique ideas of the tattoo lover, and you are ready to have something absolutely new and amazing when it comes to tattoo art.
Like all other tattoo designs, the placement of sunflower art is also determined by the size of the tattoo as well the complexity of its design. The larger and more intricate tattoos are featured on larger surface areas such as the back, chest, shoulder, spine, legs, hip, thigh and stomach, while smaller and more delicate designs are perfect for smaller areas such as ankles, wrists, fingers, back of the ear and nape of the neck. The real purpose behind investing money and time and bearing the pain of having a tattoo inked, is to grab attention and this motive is well served by a vibrant tattoo design like that of the sunflower, provided that it is placed perfectly on the body of the bearer.
Sunflowers are associated with warmth, energy and happiness. Various ancient civilizations associated the flower with different symbolic meanings
- Ancient Incas Civilization – In ancient Incas civilization sunflower was revered as a symbol of the Sun God.
- Greek civilization – In Greek civilization regarded it as the symbol of a water nymph called Clytie, who lost her love Apollo and in the state of grief, turned herself into this flower. The legend says that sunflower, as Clytie, turns itself in the direction of the Sun to look for the chariot of her lost lover Apollo, so that she may be re united with him.
- In Chinese mythology – The ancient Chinese mythology considers the flower to be very auspicious and relates it with good fortune and long life. Yellow, the color of sunflower, is regarded as the color of happiness, vitality and intelligence.
- In Esoteric Christianity – Esoteric Christianity takes the flower as a symbol of faith in God and spiritual love, which takes the soul to the path of spiritual attainment. It also springs out the idea of unity of mankind in the light of faith.
- Native American culture – In Native American culture considers sunflower to be the symbol of harvest and bounty as it is related with the sun, the force which governs the existence of all forms of life on the planet. sunflower is also worshipped as a symbol of fertility and energy in this culture.
Overall, sunflower is revered as a symbol of healing, nourishment and longevity. It also signifies focus towards worship and spiritual enlightenment, which is the true purpose of human existence.
Sunflower Tattoo Ideas to Take Into Account
Needless to say, the key to a very gorgeous sunflower art is having the finest tattoo artist in town. Yes, there is a necessity for you to find the best tattoo artist who will engrave your chosen sunflower art on your own body. Without the help of a professional tattoo artist, having sunflower art would definitely be impossible on your part even though you have some experience in tattooing. Always keep in mind that there are some body parts that are hard to reach, so you definitely need his or help assistance. In relation to this, here are some worth considering ideas for your sunflower design tattoos:
- Watercolor Tattoo – Without a doubt, thigh is one of the perfect body parts where you can display your sunflower art. This is specially with women tattoo lovers. Since women love wearing shorts, this will definitely be perfect. If you don’t want to feel the pain from the needle used for tattooing, then you should go for thigh watercolor tattoo. But if you think you can endure the pain, then why not engrave the sunflower art on your thigh forever?
- Wrist Tiny Sunflowers – A sunflower art will also look great on your wrist. This would be the perfect design that you should opt for if you don’t like bigger sunflower art to be displayed on your body. In order to add some drama on the design, you can choose to have 3 or more tiny sunflowers tattooed on your wrist.
- Under Breast Tattoo – This would be a very sexy design idea that every woman tattoo lover should consider. There is no way this tattoo cannot enhance your womanly features on your body that will make you more attractive to the opposite sexes. Of course, you can decide on the tattoo size. Just make sure to tell your tattoo artist.
- Upper Back with Quotations – They will also look very gorgeous when placed on your upper back. These will even look more beautiful when paired with some quotes, which may then change the meanings of the tattoos. You can express what you have inside through the quotes.
- Foot Tattoo – One common idea is placing it on your foot or on the left and right foot, depending on your personal preference. To achieve more unique tattoo, you can choose to get tattooed under your foots, which may be a little difficult to do.
Sunflowers tattoos have reached the pinnacle of popularity in present time, because they have a dynamic appeal about them, which they get from their vibrant colors and distinctive patterns. At the same time, they also exude a deep symbolic meaning, which makes these tattoos so special and loved around the world.
Sunflowers are regarded as the flowers of energy, happiness and life as they are closely related to the sun, the basis of life on the planet. Therefore, these tattoos have a huge fan following around the world, because they are both, aesthetically appealing as well as symbolically meaningful.
Sunflower tattoos would surely look gorgeous on your body. However, you need to be very careful in choosing a tattoo design since not all of the available designs will perfectly fit your body and personal taste.