Tattoo art has been ruling the fashion world for decades now, with some original designs and others, which are added day to day by the creative tattoo artists around the world. The design elements vary from natural objects to tribal designs and religious ones. One of the religious symbols which find use in tattoo art is the cross and cross tattoo has been a leading choice among tattoo lovers from the beginning of this art. There are various types of cross symbol tattoos, depending upon the culture they originate from, and each one has a different meaning. The common thing about these tattoos is that all of them stand for faith and belief in the Almighty.
This art is common kinds of body adornments that can be found in great numbers of people all throughout the globe. Even though these tattoos are common these days, they can still be very unique through the fact that these are religious related tattoos. Religious related tattoos are not that the favorites of many, especially to those teenagers out there. Most of the wearers of these tattoos are those people who have strong faith and belief to their own religion. Even though a cross art is a religious related body adornment, it does not mean that it cannot be extremely beautiful to the wearer’s body. Even so, you have to be careful in choosing the main designs of the tattoo, so that your purpose of tattooing it can be served well.
Table of Contents
Cross Tattoos Meanings
For you to know, they are not only for some beautification purposes. They have some deeper meanings that made these tattoos extremely interesting to have on your body. In other words, these will not only make you more beautiful and handsome in the eyes of many, but also make you a very interesting person because of the meanings and symbolism that these tattoos can bring. In relation to this, here are some of the meanings and symbolism of these tattoos that you need to keep in mind if you want to have them on your own body:
- Liberation – One very important thing that a cross art is symbolizing is liberation. It simply means that people who are wearing such tattoo on their body is saying that they are free and liberated. They are not being imprisoned to something that can make them stagnant in the flow of life. If you want to show how liberated you are to do the things that you want to do without stepping into someone’s feet, then getting inked with this tattoo is the best thing to do.
- Loyalty – Loyalty is another thing that this tattoo is representing. Yes, you read it right. There are lots of people in the world who are wearing a cross art because they simply want to show how loyal they are to someone or something. Just like for Christians, a cross art is definitely a sacred thing to these people. The symbol of the cross is a good sign of Christianism. Christian people want to show their loyalty to their religion, which is the main reason why many of them are wearing such tattoo.
- Bravery – People who are wearing this art on their body are also known to be very brave kinds of individuals. What do you think is the main reason for this? Well, it is simply because they are not afraid to show to the world that they consider the cross as a religious symbol that they are praising with. Good examples are those Christians out there who have a cross art on their body. They are brave enough to admit to the other people that they are Christians, and they are more than well prepared to die as Christians through their tattoos. Aren’t they brave enough? In case you are one of those Christian people who are very proud of their religion, then why not engrave this art on your own body.
- Faith – Again, this can be greatly associated to Christianism. People who have these tattoos on their body are simply saying that they are strong faith to Christianism, which happens to be their religion. These people believe everything that Christianism is trying to teach them. Even so, do you know that you can also wear this art even though you are not a Christian? Yes, it is actually all up to you if you find this tattoo very interesting to have. Just make sure that the meaning of your tattoo is not concentrating on religion. You do not have to worry because a cross also means a lot more things about life apart from religion.
- Honor – Another thing that this tattoo is symbolizing is honor. In other words, people who have this tattoo feel very honored that they are Christians, and they are honored to have the cross art tattoo on their body as a great symbol of Christianism. Remember that not all people can wear such very religious tattoo, so if you are one of those who are allowed to wear it, you should be very thankful about that.
Cultural and Religious Views
Here are the meanings related to cross art in different cultures around the world:
Pre-Christian Cross Art
Cross has not been rooted into Christianity. In fact, contrary to the popular belief, it is a much older symbol, which traces back to pagan religions. In ancient pre-Christian cultures, the vertical bar of the cross represented the male phallus while the horizontal one stood for the female vagina. Similarly, it was seen as a phallic symbol by Celtic druids too. The Assyrian cross signifies four cardinal directions while the Egyptian culture associated it with the union of Osiris and Isis. In ancient Babylonian culture, the symbol was related to the moon deity. Therefore, different pre historic cultures relate cross symbol tattoos with diverse meanings. Check our collections of Biomechanical tattoos, Maori tattoos, Henna tattoos for creative ideas.
Christian Cross Art
The advent of Christianity in the world added a new meaning to the cross symbol. It was now used to represent the crucifixion of Jesus Christ by the Romans. In religious context, the cross symbol tattoo signifies the victory of Jesus over dead. The variety in design of Christian cross is immense. The basic cross design, called the Latin cross, signifies the union of the divine and the world, which are indicated by the vertical and horizontal sections of the cross respectively. Some Christian designs show a cross along with a rosary, while others may include design elements such as nails and crown of thorns, all these elements originating from the Christian tradition and relating to crucifixion of Christ. Though cross is related to the Christian religion, it does not imply that a follower of some other religion cannot bear the tattoo design. Conversely, it is a design largely preferred all over the world, irrespective of the religion of the bearer.
Holy Cross Art
Like Christian cross designs, the holy cross art tattoos express the firm belief of the bearer in Christian religion. Such tattoos may include some religious quotes or text to add to their meaning and strengthen the faith.
Greek Cross Art
Greek symbolism renders the cross as the symbol of religion, using the cross art tattoo either in a simple form of a crucifix or adding intricate detailing to the same to make it more meaningful as well as to add aesthetic value to it. The idea behind it is to make the simple design more attractive, yet retain its original meaning.
Celtic Cross Symbol Tattoo
One of the most popular versions is Celtic or Irish cross tattoo design, which has the simple cross within a circle, which represents the sun. The circle lies at the intersection point of the vertical and horizontal lines of the cross and is enhanced with Celtic knot art work. Such tattoos are eye catching, usually done in black or blue, though some people may have it done in vibrant Celtic green to make it even more appealing.
Gothic Cross Symbol Tattoos
Gothic cross tattoos resemble with Celtic cross designs and usually bear elaborate and intricate patterns. The difference is that they usually bear darker elements such as bats, skeletons and blood and are inked in such a manner that they seem to have been carved into the Gothic cross.
Tribal Cross Art
Tribal cross symbol tattoo designs are featured in bold curves and lines and focus more on making the design attractive and eye catching. They are usually done in bright colors.
Popular Options For Cross Symbol
In addition to the aforementioned cross tattoo designs, which are related with different cultures and traditions, there are some other designs which are the result of pure creativity of the designers. Still, they have deeper meanings attached with them. The upside down cross design stands is a negative symbol of mocking the faith, while the cross pattee design, which features a narrow cross that expands at the tips, stands as a symbolic of honor and courage. Other lesser used and unique cross designs are the Coptic cross and the lauburu. The Coptic cross is similar to the Greek cross design in appearance and it stands for evolution. In case of the lauburu, the simple cross pattern shows a variation in the form of tear shaped curves at the arms.
Elements Incorporated in Cross Symbol Tattoos
Like all other tattoo designs, cross art is also sometimes incorporated with some other design elements, with the dual purpose of adding visual appeal as well as symbolic meaning to the basic design. These elements are picked up on the basis of preference of the bearer and also keeping in mind, the meaning he wants to depict with the tattoo. Some may go for butterflies added to the cross as they signify the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The stars and stripes, which are related with the American flag, add a patriotic symbolism to the cross art. Some other classic elements added in this design are the heart, angel wings, skull and praying hands. Similarly, verses of the Bible or some religious text can also be used to enhance the meaning. Dragon, phoenix, fish, lion, wolf, elephant, celestial objects stars, moon, birds and many other elements such as flowers, dreamcatchers, feathers, anchors, arrows, compass, geometric, musical symbols, heart, infinity, trees, angels, wings can also be used to enhance.
They are equally popular among men and women. Their placement is determined by the size and design as larger designs need a larger surface area and vice versa. Men are usually seen bearing cross art on their arm, stomach, rib, shoulder, thigh, back, spine, chest, and legs, while women prefer small and more feminine designs, which are suitable to be inked on sleeves, ankles, wrists, lower back, back of the ear, neck even as finger tattoos.
Cross symbol tattoos have always been related with faith and religion, which is the reason why caution should be exercised in having this design inked. One has to be careful that there should be nothing about these designs which may hurt the sentiments of others. You might want to check our collection of Mother & Daughter tattoos, Best Friend tattoos, Sister tattoos, White Ink tattoos.
As what being said, cross tattoos are not only very beautiful in appearance, but also extremely meaningful. Because of this, the wearers of these tattoos will surely appear very intriguing to the eyes of many people. Thus, it is no longer surprising why there are lots of famous personalities in the world who are wearing these tattoos. Some of the names of these celebrities are the following:
- India Westbrooks – India Westbrooks is a very gorgeous lady who became intensely popular in the entire world. India looks even more gorgeous tattoos that can be found at the back of her neck. The design is actually a red rose that is incorporated with a cross sign at the center of the flower itself. She also has another cross art that is located at her back. It is a red color art dedicated to her grandmother.
- Sara Forsberg – Sara Maria Forsberg is a 22-year-old Finnish songwriter and singer. She also became extremely popular through YouTube. At the right forearm of Sara, a cross art can be found that is accompanied with the word “FREJ”.
- Renee Olstead – Renee Olstead is a 27-year-old American singer and actress. She is also a big fan of a cross art tattoo. She has this very gorgeous tattoo right there on her right ankle. The design is actually a rosary bead necklace.
Here are some of the common placements for the cross tattoos:
- Arms – Your arms are said to be the perfect locations for your cross tattoo. You can decide if you will place it on the right arm, left arm, elbow, wrist, or in any other parts of the arms.
- Chest – A lot of heart tattoo lovers also consider placing the tattoo on their chest. The tattoo will only be visible when you are topless.
- Back – When you want it to be seen by the other people around you, you can just cover it with your shirt.
- Wrist–The number one body part that you can place your this tattoo is your wrist. You can have it in both of your left and right wrists.
- Stomach – Another perfect placement for this tattoo is stomach. This is a common option of many women tattoo lovers in the world who consider having this tattoos.
- Thigh –If you want to have your cross art not that obvious to some other people, you can choose to place them on your thighs.
Gorgeous Design Options To Opt
Needless to say, in case you are thinking of having a cross art engraved on your own body, one of the important things that you have to take into account is the design of the tattoo. It is certainly good news for you that this tattoo can offer you a lot of extremely beautiful designs that you can wear as your body tattoo. Every single design has different meaning, so make sure that you know the real meaning of the design before finally undergoing the tattooing process. Here are some of the gorgeous designs that you can take into accoun:
- Celtic Cross Design – This design is definitely a very gorgeous one. What you can see in this design is the image of the cross that is placed at the center of a circle. This circle actually represents the sun. The Celtic cross art is also known as the Irish cros. The entire design of this cross tattoo is enhanced through the help of the Celtic knot art work. It is the main secret of this design to make it extremely beautiful in appearance.
- Holy Cross Design – This is the design that is very popular to the Christian people. Christians strongly believe that a cross is a holy religious symbol of Christianism. Just the image of the cross alone is enough for it to look very beautiful and meaningful. Even so, the entire design can still become more gorgeous through the incorporation of several other sub designs that fit the cross image. You can add some religious texts written on the cross or beside the cross. You can even add some more sub designs like some beautiful colorful flowers like roses. It is all up to you since you are the wearer of the tattoo.
- Tribal Cross Design – Who would forget about the tribal cross design by the way? Tribal design is extremely popular, not only for a cross art but also for some other kinds of tattoos as well. As a matter of fact, a lot of tattoo experts in the world said that the tribal design is the number one tattoo design that is chosen by the higher percentage of men and women tattoo lovers worldwide. That is how powerful the gorgeousness and the meaningfulness of this design.
- Gothic Cross Design – This design actually have a lot of commons, which is why they are believed to be related to one another. However, this design involves a number of intricate patterns that made it very time consuming when tattooed on someone’s body. In this case, it can be compared to the tribal cross art design. Furthermore, this design also involves dark symbols such as blood, skeletons, and bats. In other words, this design might be very scary to some other people. But if you only know its meanings, then you will surely not be scared on it.
Without a doubt, cross tattoos are very meaningful and gorgeous body adornments that you can have, especially if you are a very religious type of a person. Choose the best design for you, and make sure to consider your own personality in choosing a certain cross symbol tattoo design. In this way, you can be sure that the final tattoo product will be nothing but a worth having one.