Butterflies are pretty insects, which have been a source of admiration for man since the beginning of time. These playful little things, hopping from flower to flower, boast of vibrant colors and attraction value like no other insect in nature. These beautiful creatures have been featured in poems and paintings and also occupy an important place in tattoo art, with many designers working on innovative butterfly tattoo designs for clients with a discerning eye for beauty and intricacy. In fact, they are one of the most popular tattoo designs among women, because they are feminine and vibrant enough to reflect the true personality of a bubbly young lady. Not only girls, even guys seem to have a liking for butterfly art.
This art is most preferred body art of thousands of people in the entire world. What do you think is the reason for this? Well, the very obvious reason for this is the fact that it can give great beauty to the wearers since a butterfly is a very adorable insect. Yes, you read it right. Butterfly is a kind of insect, a very beautiful insect to be exact. You might be thinking that how come an insect can be beautiful. Well, butterfly is completely different to some other insects. As a matter of fact, such insect can make a garden more beautiful because of its varied vibrant colors. They are common choices of women because they can create a gorgeous feminine look. Even so, this does not mean that men tattoo lovers can no longer wear them. You just have to make sure that the entire design will look more masculine by adding some other designs.
Table of Contents
Butterfly Tattos Meanings
Butterflies are beautiful creatures which can draw anyone’s attention in a single glimpse. They symbolize the purity of the soul and gentleness of the heart because of their fragility. They also stand for beauty, love and affection. These tiny little insect seldom let anyone get to them and fly away at once, which is the reason they are associated with flight. Another notion related to butterfly is that it relates to metamorphosis, as the creature passes through many stages of change to get transformed from an ugly little caterpillar into its beautiful self. The caterpillar passes through the difficult stage of a cocoon and begins its new life after going through hard times. This signifies that a person grows from his original state to what he actually wants to be, a new improved self. There are diverse meanings of butterfly tattoos in different cultures.
- In Japanese culture, a butterfly stands for freedom, while a large group of butterflies seem like a bad women. It is a belief that a butterfly entering the guestroom of a home impends the coming of a loved one. Similarly, butterflies flying into the bedroom are also considered lucky, particularly when the spouse or a child is out and it means that they will come back home safely.
- In the Chinese culture, two butterflies represent love and togetherness. The same applies in western culture too, as being in love is often explained by the famous phrase “Butterflies in the stomach”.
- The Greek and Christian cultures see butterflies as the symbol of soul, while it is also associated with freedom. It is also said that a butterfly brings good luck, when it site on a person. In Russian language, the word butterfly sounds like the grandmother.
- In the ancient Aztec culture, these tiny little creatures represent the souls of women who died during childbirth or those of the dead warriors. In some other cultures, butterflies, particularly the white ones, represent the souls of the children who have departed and are believed to bring solace to the parents as they picture their lost child in the form of a beautiful butterfly.
With so many symbolic meanings, butterflies have been leading the list of objects which are used in tattoo art. Since butterfly art is associated with freedom, these tattoos are often got done by people who are released from imprisonment. This tattoo is also a popular choice among students who have passed out from the university, while a purple butterfly has also been adopted by the Lupus Society, who use this vibrant creature to depict their fight against Lupus. The beauty of this art lies in its simplicity and colorfulness, which is blended with intricate detail.
A butterfly art is something exquisite and beautiful, which attracts attention at whichever body part it is inked. A small sized tattoo is done on the neck, wrist, ankle, finger or under the ear, whereas larger tattoos are inked on the back, shoulder, chest, thigh, arm and leg. The fact is that butterfly is such an eye catching creature that size does not matter in its case. The same can be seen in the butterfly art design, such that even a small or medium sized tattoo is enough to catch the attention of the onlooker. These tattoos can also be used with objects such as dreamcatchers, feathers, anchor and many others. Whether it is common people or celebrities, butterfly art tattoos have acquired a desirable status among tattoo lovers all over the world and the endorsement of these tattoos by global celebrities have taken their popularity to a great high. Penelope Cruz, Julia Roberts, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Paris Hilton and Harry Styles are some celebrities who have been spotted with butterfly art tattoos and have added to the craze of these tattoos among the young and the old.
They are available in a large variety, with tattoo designers constantly working on these designs to cash in on their ever increasing popularity. Since these designs are considered more on a feminine side, they are mostly preferred by girls, though boys can be spotted with them too. Some of the fantastic butterfly tattoo design ideas are mentioned below:
- Girlish Butterfly Art – Since butterflies are feminine and lady like creatures, these tattoos are mostly done in girlish designs, which come in a wide array of girlish colors like pink, orange, red and yellow. Such tattoos are accompanied by other design elements like stars, hearts, bows and angels, which makes them look really cute and adorable.
- Couple Butterfly Art – While a solitary butterfly looks exquisite, a pair of them represents the love and togetherness of a couple. They can be shown along with flowers and vines, with the names of the two lovers or friends inked along with, making a great choice for those who want to make an immortal impression of their feelings towards each other. Both the partners can have such a tattoo inked on themselves.
- 3D Butterfly Art – The latest is the 3D version, which looks really impressive and outstanding. They seem to have a lifted look, as if the objects are actually placed on the skin of the bearer. This realistic looking tattoo is a favorite among men as it is a real visual treat, with the most preferable locations for the tattoo being the chest, the side and the back.
- Tribal Butterfly Art – Whichever design we talk about in tattoo art, the tribal pattern remains the evergreen choice as these tattoos look good on any sex, age or part of the body. Tribal tattoos are usually inked in blue color and look really impressive. Another way in which tribal designs are featured in a butterfly art is a colored butterfly with black swirls, which are part of tribal designs. The ideal location for a tribal tattoo is the lower back area. The tribal design is symmetrical in nature, with the butterfly centered at the spine and its wings spreading on both the sides, reaching out according to the size of the butterfly art tattoo. Such a tribal design is also done of the upper back, depending upon the choice of the tattoo bearer.
In addition to the above mentioned designs, some other designs are considered as popular choices in these tattoos. These can include butterflies featured with flowers and water cascades, which can look absolutely stunning. One can choose a flower which complements one’s personality, such as the rose, lotus, jasmine, sunflower, daffodil or any other. Sometimes, they can feature a moving effect, generally suitable for the leg area, with the biggest butterfly on the bottom and the size going smaller, as the design moved upward, and the smallest on seen on the top. The design can be done in pretty and bright colors for a beautiful effect. Some nice words or verses can be added to a butterfly design, which gives it a whole new meaning. The name of a loved one can be incorporated with it to dedicate the tattoo to a very special person in one’s life.
The specialty lies in its versatility, with respect to its color, size and design. They can look as impressive in a monochrome as it can, when inked in a combination of bright colors and with colorful elements like flowers added to the design. Also, it can look equally god in small, medium or large sizes. Another god thing about this tattoo is that it is a great choice for the people going to be inked for the first time, as they can have just a small little butterfly art to begin with. As they start feeling comfortable with the idea of pain and money involved and are ready to go for more, they can have the same tattoo enhanced, with more design elements incorporated in it or more intricate detailing done in the same butterfly art. We can also say that this art can transform a mundane looking tattoo and add an entirely new dimension to it, giving it a beautiful new look and making it more eye catching. Perhaps, it is all these reasons, in addition to the aesthetic value of this tiny little creature, what makes the butterfly tattoo a top choice of the tattoo lovers around the world.
Are you aware that there are a lot of celebrities in the world who are being captivated by the beauty of this art? Yes, you read it right. In fact, there are so many of them to mention. However, here are some of the notable names that you should keep in mind:
- Lea Michele–Lea Michele Sarfati is a 29-year-old American author, singer, and actress who became very famous because of her lead role in the American musical television series titled Glee. Lea looks great with her blue butterfly art that is located on her right foot.
- Queen Latifah –Queen Latifah, or Dana Elaine Owens in real life situation, is a 49-year-old American celebrity who have a gorgeous butterfly art right there on her neck.
- Maria Brink –She is a 38-year-old American songwriter and singer who also looks gorgeous with her butterfly art located on her right arm, which is actually a full sleeve tattoo.
For sure, you already know that the placement of your tattoos will depend on your decision. Even so, there are several common placements for butterfly art that you should know. These body areas can showcase your tattoo well, and you might want to consider putting this art. In this regard, here are some of the common placements of butterfly tattoos that you should know:
- Butterfly Art on Chest–Chest is the most common body area among men where they choose to place this art. This is a very obvious area in which the people around can notice when you are topless or when your shirt is a little down. This is the best placement if you want to tell your girlfriend or wife how proud and happy you are to have her.
- Butterfly Art on Back –The back portion of your body is another great option for tattoo placement, regardless if you are a man or a woman. Since your back is a wide area for a tattoo, you can definitely choose to have a bigger design if you want to. Even so, you should know that big or small art, they are just the same when it comes to beauty. It is rest assured that they are all striking.
- Butterfly Art on Shoulders –Whatever design you want to choose, it is certainly perfect to be placed on your shoulders. You can decide if you want to put it on the left, right, or in both shoulders. Women can certainly make their shoulders even more gorgeous through such tattoo.
- Butterfly Art on Thigh –If you want to have this art not that obvious to some other people, you can choose to place them on your thighs. Of course, it is now up to you if you want to put tattoos in both of your thighs or just on the left or right part.
- And few other placements such as Hips, Stomach, Breast, Legs, Ankle, Hand, Arms and Foot are most suitable for butterfly art tattoo designs.
Just in case you do not know, there are actually several cultures in the world that are being associated to butterfly art. Some of these cultures consider butterfly as a sacred creature, which is why you can see a lot of people under various cultures who have different designs on their body. In these various cultures, they are symbolizing a lot of things. In relation to this, here are the different cultures associated to butterfly art and the meanings of every tattoo:
- Aztec Culture– For some other cultures in the world, butterflies are representing the souls of those innocent children who already died. However, this is not the case with the Aztec culture. The people under this culture strongly believe that butterflies are the souls of those dead brave warriors and those mothers who died while giving birth to their beautiful babies. Thus, if you want to give honor to your wife or to a family member who died after giving birth, then having this art would be great for you.
- Greek Culture –Ancient Greek people also believed that butterflies were the souls of those dead ones. The Greek culture also believes that they are symbolizing freedom. The obvious explanation for this is the fact that butterflies are free to go anywhere they want to. It is all thanks to their very colorful and beautiful wings.
- Japanese Culture –For the Japanese people, a butterfly represents a number of things, and this goes the same with this art. When you see a group of bigger butterflies that are flying together, this is a bad omen according to the Japanese culture. However, if it is only a single butterfly that is flying in the guest room or in the bedroom, it is something that you should be happy about. Japanese people believe that your children and spouse who are away will come back home safe and sound. In this culture, a butterfly is also representing freedom. Apart from that, it also means good luck to its wearers.
- Chinese Culture –Chinese people also consider them as great and meaningful adornments on someone’s body. According to these people, these tattoos represent togetherness and love, specially when two butterflies are being tattooed.
Gorgeous Designs to Consider
Needless to say, butterfly tattoos are just the same with some other tattoos that have several choices when it comes to designs. It is rest assured that whatever design you will choose, you will certainly look gorgeous and become the center of attraction when standing on the crowd. In relation to this, here are some of the gorgeous designs that you can take into account when it comes to butterfly art:
- Tribal Butterfly Design –Well, there is no need for more explanations about this design for sure since a tribal design is something that is chosen by thousands of tattoo lovers in the world because of its incomparable beauty that it can offer to the wearers. Apart from that, such design is considered to be one of the top 5 most popular tattoos worn by great percentage of tattoo lovers in the world. It looks great to men and women of any age brackets. The secret of such design is the gorgeous tribal patterns. These patterns add more beautiful accents to the butterfly image that will be engraved on your body as tattoos.
- 3D Butterfly Design –If you want something that will really look outstanding amongst other designs and something that is very trendy, then the 3D butterfly design is something that must be chosen. This is a very advanced design that is chosen by many specially those youngsters out there. What makes it very interesting and beautiful is the fact that the butterfly image will look so real and it seems that it is just kissing on your skin. Isn’t that interesting enough for you? A lot of men tattoo lovers are getting attracted to this particular design.
- Couple Butterfly Design –This is a very common design that is chosen by a lot of couples. However, its level of gorgeousness is never downed even though it is a common design. A couple butterfly design tattoo is believed to be symbolizing togetherness and love, which is a common belief of the Chinese culture that is already passed on in the entire world. This design will even look more beautiful when added with some more sub designs like flowers, vines, or even names of the lovers. If you have a partner, having such design is one way of showing how you deeply love her or him.
- Girlish Butterfly Design –As what being said, they are said to be extremely gorgeous feminine tattoos. This is the main reason why most of the designs of these tattoos are exuding femininity. The girlish butterfly design is something that you can choose if you want to be playful with your butterfly art tattoos. Girlish design is known to be extremely colorful, making it a very attractive design. If you want to showcase the feminine side of you, then choosing this particular design would be very great.
Butterfly tattoo is definitely a gorgeous tattoo perfect not only for women, but also for a lot of men tattoo lovers in the world. This is not just a very beautiful body adornment, but also an extremely meaningful one. Be ready to be the center of attraction if you want to have such tattoo engraved on your body.