Lotus flower tattoo designs are widely preferred by tattoo lovers all around the world. Popular amongst both, men and women, lotus design is not only revered for its beauty, but also reflects a deeper spiritual meaning. The flower grows in muddy water, yet symbolizes purity and harmony. As a tattoo design too, lotus stands for the same attributes in human nature and depicts the thoughts and attitude of the bearer.
Lotus flower is amongst the most amazing creations of nature and its beauty lies in its purity. The aesthetic brilliance of this wonderful flower has made it one of the most popular objects used in tattoo designs. Tattoo art has used natural objects such as dreamcatchers, feathers, anchors, flowers to make attractive depiction on human body. Lotus flower finds a great degree of usage in traditional as well as contemporary tattoo art. This attractive and eye catching lotus flower tattoo designs are a hot favorite among tattoo lovers in the East as well as the West, and is featured in diverse sizes and colors, and on various parts of the body, giving an elegant look to the tattoo bearer. The lotus flower not only looks beautiful when used in tattoo art, but also has a deeper meaning, as explained in various cultures and religions across the world.
Table of Contents
Symbolic Meaning of Lotus Flower
As said before, lotus flower is associated with different meanings in different cultures and religions.
- Buddhism Culture – According to Buddhist religion, lotus defines purity and piousness of the soul, as the flower grows in a muddy area, yet maintains its purity. The belief is based on the fact that you will find a perfectly complete miniatures lotus plant within a seed, which implies that even a human being is born complete and yearns for perfection through his journey of life. Also, Buddhism has meanings for various colors of lotus flowers, as a red colored lotus stands for the heart, which implies love and passion. Similarly, a pink lotus represents devotion towards the divine, while a blue one stands for learning and intelligence. A purple lotus defines mysticism, besides being a symbol of the eight fold path laid down by the religion, which is reflected through its eight petals. A white colored lotus implies purity and peace, both at spiritual as well as intellectual level. The Buddhist mythology says that the Buddha was born from this pure flower and had white heart, which represented his pious soul. Just as a lotus sheds its flowers and seeds together, it signifies a noble soul which guides the other souls on the Earth along the path of Nirvana.
- Egyptian Culture – The ancient Egyptian cultures sees lotus as a symbol of beginning of life and reincarnation, as the mythology of this culture narrates that origination of life on earth was marked by the blooming of this mystical flower from the sea.
- Chinese Culture – The Chinese culture sees lotus as a flower with perfect beauty stands as a source of inspiration for poets and artists since times immemorial. Lotus is recognized as a symbol of pure feminine beauty and reflects marital harmony when talking about personal relationships.
- Western Culture – The Western culture has a similar kind of reflection of this charming flower, because it denotes new beginning and rebirth as it is reflects divine conception. It also links lotus flower with the search of true meaning of life.
Lotus Flower Tattoo Placement and Designs
Lotus flower tattoo looks amazing and prominent at various locations on the body and is ideally featured on back, arms, thighs, shoulder, chest, wrist or ankle, depending upon the personal taste and preference of the bearer. Besides a wide number of options regarding the preferred placement of lotus flower tattoos, there is an equally wide variety in the designs available too.
- Lotus Buds and Blooms – While some designs show it as a bud or half closed flower, most of them have lotus flowers shown in full bloom, with all its petals opened up to depict a pure and delicate heart.
- Lotus Flower in Water – Another popular lotus tattoo design is the one which shows the pure and beautiful flower standing in the backdrop of a pool of water, which adds a new meaning to the tattoo. The design may include a single lotus or a cluster of flowers in the water, which can be made even more attractive by proper choice of colors of flowers to contrast the striking blue water. In addition to being a very attractive design, this one is closely linked to religious and cultural belief as the Hindu and Buddhist religions consider lotus as one of the purest flowers despite the fact that it grows in murky water.
- Matching Lotus Flower Tattoos – As we have seen before, Chinese culture associates this flower with harmony and mutual trust, which is why many people wear matching lotus tattoos to strengthen their relationships. On the other hand, the Japanese style tattoo design includes lotus flower along with clouds or waves to have a wonderful looking design.
- Lotus Flower Tattoo with Dragon – Some Japanese tattoo designers have also teamed up these stunning looking flowers with the traditional dragon pattern for excellent end results.
- Tribal Lotus Flower Tattoo design – The tribal designs in lotus tattoo are seen entirely in black color, though contemporary designs can combine some other colors with it. The traditional sleeve tattoo in lotus design covers the entire arm of the bearer, which is quite a popular choice among tattoo lovers.
It can be combined with certain images to convey the personal beliefs of the wearer and can be much more than a style statement for him. Chinese tattoo art includes some inspirational characters along with the lotus, while Buddhists may have the image of the Buddha added to it, in order to represent enlightenment. It is not only the design in lotus tattoos which is of great significance, but also the color chosen by the wearer matters a lot, as far as the appearance and symbolism of the tattoo is concerned. As said before, red, which is the color of passion, reflects deep devotion in the divine, when used in lotus tattoo design, while gold teamed with white lotus signifies the purity of the soul.
As we have seen, lotus has a wide array of symbolic interpretations, which makes it a complex choice when it comes to picking a tattoo design by the bearer. Ideally, lotus tattoo design is suited for such people who want to depict new beginning, purity and devotion, as a part of their belief. This means that you need to be absolutely clear about the concept of lotus tattoo design, so that you can choose the right one to stand for your taste, attitude and belief.
Popular Pictures Of Lotus Flower Tattoos