Lotus flower tattoo is undeniably one of the most beautiful flower tattoos that can be engraved in one’s body, and there are so many people in the world who prefer to have it than anything else. Aside from the fact that it looks so gorgeous as body art, lotus flower also symbolizes a number of things. It is even closely connected to several religions in the world. With that being said, it is no longer surprising why great numbers of tattoo lovers are attracted to such flower design tattoo.
They are popular among both, men and women, lotus design is not only revered for its beauty, but also reflects a deeper spiritual meaning. The flower grows in muddy water, yet symbolizes purity and harmony. As a tattoo design too, lotus stands for the same attributes in human nature and depicts the thoughts and attitude of the bearer.
Table of Contents
Lotus Tattoos Symbolic Meanings
As said before, lotus flower is associated with different meanings in different cultures and religions.
- Buddhism Culture – According to Buddhist religion, lotus defines purity and piousness of the soul, as the flower grows in a muddy area, yet maintains its purity. The belief is based on the fact that you will find a perfectly complete miniatures lotus plant within a seed, which implies that even a human being is born complete and yearns for perfection through his journey of life. Also, Buddhism has meanings for various colors of lotus flowers, as a red colored lotus stands for the heart, which implies love and passion. Similarly, a pink lotus represents devotion towards the divine, while a blue one stands for learning and intelligence. A purple lotus defines mysticism, besides being a symbol of the eight fold path laid down by the religion, which is reflected through its eight petals. A white colored lotus implies purity and peace, both at spiritual as well as intellectual level. The Buddhist mythology says that the Buddha was born from this pure flower and had white heart, which represented his pious soul. Just as a lotus sheds its flowers and seeds together, it signifies a noble soul which guides the other souls on the Earth along the path of Nirvana.
- Egyptian Culture – The ancient Egyptian cultures sees lotus as a symbol of beginning of life and reincarnation, as the mythology of this culture narrates that origination of life on earth was marked by the blooming of this mystical flower from the sea.
- Chinese Culture – The Chinese culture sees lotus as a flower with perfect beauty stands as a source of inspiration for poets and artists since times immemorial. Lotus is recognized as a symbol of pure feminine beauty and reflects marital harmony when talking about personal relationships.
- Western Culture – The Western culture has a similar kind of reflection of this charming flower, because it denotes new beginning and rebirth as it is reflects divine conception. It also links lotus flower with the search of true meaning of life.
Hinduism and Lotus Flower
Believe it or not, lotus flower tattoos are sacred things in the name of Hinduism religion. It is simply because such religion considers Padma as a sacred flower. Just in case you do not know, Padma is a kind of lotus flower. People who believe in Hinduism think that Brahma, Vishnu and some other deities have something to do with the lotus flower. With that being said, it is no longer surprising why people who practice Hinduism are fond of tattooing lotus flower on their bodies. According to Hinduism, lotus signifies purity and divine beauty, while its unfolding leaves represents spiritual awakening and expansion of a person’s soul.
Buddhism and Lotus Flower
People who are practicing Buddhism as their religion are also some of those tattoo lovers in the world who love tattooing lotus flowers on their body. It is simply because a lotus flower has a strong tie to the said religion. In Buddhism, the purity of one’s body, spirit, and mind is what a lotus flower represents for. In Buddhist lotus tattoos however, the flower is usually associated with eight beautiful petals that represents the Eightfold Path, which is the religion’s core tenet.
Lotus Flower Meaning through Its Colors
For those people who are not that fully acquainted about the meaning of lotus, their individual colors will actually affect that much to the message or meaning that the tattoos are trying to portray. In other words, lotus flower meanings can also be determined through their colors. Here is clearer explanations about it:
- Blue Lotus – Blue lotus is the perfect representations of intelligence, wisdom, or knowledge. Religiously speaking, the blue colored lotus that a person’s spiritual aspect has more control compared to his or her physical senses. It also means that your spirituality can help you overcome those physical temptations that may come to you. Most of the time, a blue lotus is tattooed as a half closed one on one’s body. It simply means that your spirit and mind growth is a continuous process and it never ends until you die.
- White Lotus – The white lotus of course, has different meanings with the blue one. It signifies enlightenment on a person’s spiritual and mental aspects. The person who wears a white colored lotus shows that he or she is calm in nature. It also has something to do with perfection and purity. According to Buddhism, the pinnacle of achievement is the one that a white lotus represents for. In fact, the white lotus is being referred to by Buddhists as the “Flower of the Buddhas”.
- Red Lotus – The red lotus is also known as the “heart lotus”. A red colored lotus flower depicts passion, compassion, and love. This is the main reason why it is called the “heart lotus”. To show the wearer’s passionate nature, the red lotus is always done in a fully bloomed flower image.
- Purple Lotus – A purple-colored lotus is the one being tattooed to numerous Buddhist people. It is simply because this image is one sacred flower that is involved in Buddhism. It is believed to be the homage of the Buddhist deities. Also, a purple-colored lotus represents spirituality.
Lotus flower is among the most amazing creations of nature and its beauty lies in its purity. The aesthetic brilliance of this wonderful flower has made it one of the most popular objects used in tattoo designs. Tattoo art has used natural objects such as dreamcatchers, feathers, anchors, flowers to make attractive depiction on human body. Lotus flower finds a great degree of usage in traditional as well as contemporary tattoo art. This attractive and eye catching lotus flower designs are a hot favorite among tattoo lovers in the East as well as the West, and is featured in diverse sizes and colors, and on various parts of the body, giving an elegant look to the tattoo bearer. The lotus flower not only looks beautiful when used in tattoo art, but also has a deeper meaning, as explained in various cultures and religions across the world.
Placement and Designs
Lotus flower design looks amazing and prominent at various locations on the body and is ideally featured on back, arms, thighs, shoulder, chest, wrist or ankle, depending upon the personal taste and preference of the bearer. Besides a wide number of options regarding the preferred placement of lotus flower tattoos, there is an equally wide variety in the designs available too.
- Lotus Buds and Blooms – While some designs show it as a bud or half closed flower, most of them have lotus flowers shown in full bloom, with all its petals opened up to depict a pure and delicate heart.
- Lotus Flower in Water – Another popular lotus tattoo design is the one which shows the pure and beautiful flower standing in the backdrop of a pool of water, which adds a new meaning to the tattoo. The design may include a single lotus or a cluster of flowers in the water, which can be made even more attractive by proper choice of colors of flowers to contrast the striking blue water. In addition to being a very attractive design, this one is closely linked to religious and cultural belief as the Hindu and Buddhist religions consider lotus as one of the purest flowers despite the fact that it grows in murky water.
- Matching Lotus Flower – As we have seen before, Chinese culture associates this flower with harmony and mutual trust, which is why many people wear matching lotus tattoos to strengthen their relationships. On the other hand, the Japanese style tattoo design includes lotus flower along with clouds or waves to have a wonderful looking design.
- Lotus Flower with Dragon – Some Japanese tattoo designers have also teamed up these stunning looking flowers with the traditional dragon pattern for excellent end results.
- Tribal Lotus Flower design – The tribal designs are seen entirely in black color, though contemporary designs can combine some other colors with it. The traditional sleeve tattoo in lotus design covers the entire arm of the bearer, which is quite a popular choice among tattoo lovers.
It can be combined with certain images to convey the personal beliefs of the wearer and can be much more than a style statement for him.
Chinese tattoo art includes some inspirational characters along with the lotus, while Buddhists may have the image of the Buddha added to it, in order to represent enlightenment. It is not only the design in lotus tattoos which is of great significance, but also the color chosen by the wearer matters a lot, as far as the appearance and symbolism of the tattoo is concerned. As said before, red, which is the color of passion, reflects deep devotion in the divine, when used in lotus designs, while gold teamed with white lotus signifies the purity of the soul.
As we have seen, lotus has a wide array of symbolic interpretations, which makes it a complex choice when it comes to picking a tattoo design by the bearer. Ideally, lotus design is suited for such people who want to depict new beginning, purity and devotion, as a part of their belief. This means that you need to be absolutely clear about the concept of lotus design, so that you can choose the right one to stand for your taste, attitude and belief.
Small Lotus Flower Tattoo Designs
Lotus Flower Designs to Take Into Account
Needless to say, lotus tattoos can offer you a wide range of designs, just like any other kinds of tattoos out there. With this, there is no way you cannot find the lotus design that perfectly fits on your body and to your personal preference. Here are some of the most preferred lotus designs that you can consider:
- Lotus Flower Grown in Water – A lotus flower alone of course, has an absolutely meaning when it is tattooed. And when it grows in a pool of water, its meaning becomes different. Even though lotus usually grows in dirty water, Hinduism and Buddhism still believe that lotus is the purest flower they have ever known. In the Lotus Flower Grown in Water design, you can choose only one lotus flower or more if you want to enhance its beauty.
- Half Closed and Fully Bloomed Lotus Flower – Some people prefer having a half closed lotus flower, while there are others who want it to be fully bloomed. Even so, the fully bloomed lotus is symbolizing the delicate and pure heart of the tattoo wearer. Hence, if you want to show to others how delicate and pure your heart is, then opting for a fully bloomed lotus flower design is the best thing you can do.
- Tribal Lotus Flower Design – There is no question why a lot of people prefer having a tribal tattoo when it comes to lotus since this is a very gorgeous and artistic design that any tattoo lovers can possibly engrave on their body. The beauty of a tribal design can be greatly appreciated if it has a bigger size. This is the main reason why a tribal lotus flower design can be perfectly displayed on arms, back, and legs. Furthermore, tribal design is usually tattooed with only black color. However, lotus flower design is an exception specially if the design is quite modern. You can incorporate more colors. You just have to make sure that it fits you and the entire tattoo design as well.
- Lotus Flower and a Dragon Design – Common Chinese and Japanese tattoo lovers choice is the lotus flower and a dragon design. You might be thinking that these two subjects will never go well in one tattoo design together, but they actually will. Many people can attest to that specially those who have already tried this gorgeous lotus design. Aside from the fact that this design will look great on the body, these tattoo lovers also choose such design because a dragon is one iconic symbol on their cultures.
- Matching Lotus Design – The truth is, a matching lotus design is a matter of matching the lotus flower design with some other beautiful designs that can make the lotus even more beautiful and significant. This is usually used by those people who relate their body tattoos on their varied cultures. Like for example the Japanese culture. The lotus tattoo design involved in this particular culture is matched with images of waves or clouds. With these matching designs, there is no way the final lotus design product will not look as stunning as you want it to be.
A lotus flower tattoo is one tattoo design that must be considered if you want something that is related to religion, apart from the fact that it is a gorgeous image for a tattoo. It has various colors, and each of these lotus color represents varied meanings that people should know.