Trees are the most important element of nature as they play a key role in sustaining life on the planet, taking in carbon dioxide and giving out the precious oxygen gas, which is necessary for human life. Therefore, trees occupy a place of reverence among human beings and similarly, tree tattoos are a popular design in contemporary tattoo art. Such a design is particularly loved by people who appreciate nature and environment and represents their feelings towards the trees.
This is one of those amazing heights that happened in the world of tattooing. Trees may be very common in living things that can be seen in this world, but when talking about tree art tattoos, it is already a different side of the story. Tree art tattoos are considered to be very unique body adornments that can be placed on your own body if you want to. The tattoos can be extremely gorgeous to your body, and there is no question about that. Apart from that, these tattoos are also extremely meaningful. In other words, they are worth considering pieces of arts that perfectly fit on your body.
Table of Contents
Tree Tattoos Meanings
A tree signifies life, with each part having a deep meaning. Roots stand for strong foundation as they keep the whole tree grounded in the soil, while the trunk represents resilience as it bears the extremities of weather and other forces but still keeps standing strong at its place. The branches of the tree stand for continuity and buds signify new beginnings. Trees, as a whole, show beauty, growth and strength and a tree design reflects the dedication of the bearer towards the environment and nature. They depict deeper meanings which differ in various cultures around the world.
- Egyptian culture – Trees occupy an important place in Egyptian culture and mythology, where they are regarded as a symbol of life and death.
- Chinese mythology– In Chinese mythology, the tree of life is deemed to be the home of the dragon and the phoenix, which represent the soul and its resurrection, respectively.
- Celtic culture – The Celtic culture has always seen tree as the giver of food, warmth and shelter, which associates the tree with life.
- Symbol of humanity – The Christian religion reveres tree as the healer and takes it as a symbol of humanity, which is pure and free of sin. Did you know Dreamcatcher tattoos are the most popular native american tattoo art?
- Buddhist culture – Tree also has a significant place in the Buddhist religion as the place where Buddha attained enlightenment was right under a tree called the Bodhi tree. Therefore, they are popular among the followers of Buddhist religion. We recommend you to also check Koi fish tattoos collection.
- Dead tree art imply the danger which the earth’s environment is facing today, because of inhuman cutting of trees and the resultant increasing pollution levels on the earth.
It can be said that trees symbolize resilience as they last long and bear the burdens of the earth by purifying the air of the planet. This is the reason why most of the world cultures, Greek, Egyptian, Celtic, German, Scandinavian and many more, worship these wonderful objects of nature and the tree art tattoo design is getting more and more famous around the world. Don’t forget to check Maori tattoos collection.
Different cultures have different perspectives;
- A Symbol of humanity – The Christian religion reveres tree as the healer and takes it as a symbol of humanity, which is pure and free of sin.
- Chinese mythology– The tree of life is considered as house of the dragon and the phoenix, which depicts the soul and its resurrection, respectively.
- Buddhist Religion – Bodhi tree was the place where Buddha attained enlightenment.
- A Symbol of Life and Death – Trees occupy significant place in Egyptian culture, where they are regarded as a symbol of life and death.
- Celtic culture – The Celtic culture has always consider tree as the giver of food, warmth and shelter, which associates the tree with life.
Do you know that tree tattoos are not only very appealing in the eyes of numerous common people in the entire world? Yes, you read it right. It is simply because there are also very popular personalities who are getting captivated by these tattoos. Some of them have already engraved the tattoos on their body, making them more gorgeous and intriguing in the eyes of many. In relation to this, here are some of the names of these famous personalities that you should know:
- Teri Polo – Teri Polo is a 47-year-old American actress who became very famous through her interesting role in the most watched television trilogy titled Meet the Parents. Despite her current older age, she still looks very gorgeous especially when you see her huge tree art located on her back.
- Jess Abbott – Jess Abbott is a famous member of the world renowned music group known as Now, Now. Jess has a very cute and colorful tree art located on her left forearm that has leaves that are colored with rainbow colors, and a single bird that is staying in one of the tree branches.
- Amira McCarthy – Amira McCarthy is a 20-year-old music artist living in the city of London in the United Kingdom. She is one of the members of the popular music group called Neon Jungle since the year 2013. On her left forearm, you can be able to see a palm tree art that is symbolizing Los Angeles, California.
- Skylar Grey – Skylar Grey is a 30-year-old American songwriter and singer who was baptized by the real name of Holly Brook Hafermann. She has a very intriguing kind of tree art on her back, which has a very huge size. The design of the entire tattoo involves a cabin in the woods in a stormy weather condition.
Some Beautiful Designs Options
When it comes to design, a tree can never be run out of it. There are so much designs that you can choose from this particular beautiful body tattoo. Because of the seas of choices that you can have, there is no way you cannot choose the one that definitely fits the entire you. In relation to this, here are some of the worth considering and beautiful designs that you can take into accoun:
- Oak Tree Design – The oak tree design is an extremely popular design that is chosen by a lot of men and women tattoo lovers in the world. This is the common choice of many in the past years and even up to these days. The said tree is considered to be a sacred thing for a number of ancient religions, which is the main reason why this design is representing reverence. Some other things that it represents are glory, victory, strength, bravery, spirituality, patience, and wisdom.
- Palm Tree Design – The palm tree design is majorly chosen by many because of its huge aesthetic value. In other words, it looks very good on the body of the wearer. The delicate appeal of the palm tree certainly makes it well preferred by those who have delicate heart and personality like those women tattoo lovers in the world. And because of the elongated structure of the palm tree, it makes it perfect to be engraved on longer body areas such as arms and legs.
- Cherry Blossom Tree Design – Another worth considering design when it comes to tree art tattoo is the cherry blossom tree design. It is a very famous tattoo design in a number of Asian cultures in the world, especially in the Japanese culture. This design is also known as the sakura tree design. The whole design of a cherry blossom tattoo is symbolizing the great beauty of the life cycle. With the enchanting pink flowers of the cherry blossom tree, there is no way it will not look gorgeous on the body of the wearers. It is very eye-catching in nature, especially that it is commonly being associated with intricate tattoo details.
- Leaf Design – They actually do not need to be involved with some images of whole trees. Even just a single part of the trees is enough to be called as a tree art tattoo. Yes, you read it right, and one good example is the leaf design. You can go for a single leaf or a group of tree leaves. It is all up on your personal preference since you will be the wearer of the tattoo. This design is also a very meaningful one. It will simply mean growth, happiness, and fertility. But the truth is, the meaning will depend on the kind of tree the leaf originally came from. Good examples are the bay leaf that represents healing, birch leaf that signifies purification, and the ivy leaf that is symbolizing friendship.
- Willow Tree Design – Another very good design that you can take into account is the willow tree design. The majestic beauty and the meaningful design of this tattoo are the two major things that made it very attractive to the men and women tattoo lovers in the entire world. The entire design of a willow tree is actually symbolizing mythology, memorial, and literary. It is one important symbol in the world of Celtic Mythology. This can also be a very important symbol of those people who were born in the British Isles.
- Family Tree Design – A family tree is a kind of family tattoos that are being worn by a lot of individuals all around the globe. Wearing family tree is enough for you to show how much you love and respect your whole family. For those nature-oriented families, this kind of a family tattoo is undeniably the perfect one to have.
They come in a variety of designs and sizes, just like the countless species of trees which exist in nature. This means that they can be placed on any part of the body, depending upon the size of the design. Smaller tattoos can be inked on finger, wrists, palm, arm, ankle, behind the ear and neck, while larger ones can be featured on larger surface areas such as the back, shoulder, thigh, sleeve, side and chest. The basic consideration is that large tattoos need a larger area of the skin to get the perfect magnificent look, which every bearer wants for his tattoo design.
Popular Tattoo Design For Tree
The variety in tree species occurring in nature is immense and so is that in tree tattoos. There are a large number designs which are considered as the most popular ones among discerning tattoo lovers around the globe. Here are some of them:
- Tree of Life Tattoo – The tree of life stands for eternity, knowledge, wisdom, growth, abundance, strength and protection. The design incorporated all parts of the tree such as roots, trunk, branches and leaves, which grow in the outward direction, yet get interconnected and link themselves to the roots, making a circular shape. The tree of life design is seen as a symbol of interconnection of the people of the world with each other. It is inked in lush green color and is one of the most loved tree designs. Did you check our hand-picked collection of White ink tattoos?
- Willow Tree – Another popular tree design is the willow tree, which is usually inked as a memorial of a loved one who has departed. The design may have a name or text added to it to make it more meaningful. Willow is a tree which signifies strength and resilience as it withstands the fiercest of storms to retain its position, which makes such a tattoo a symbol of conviction and determination of the bearer. Some associate the weeping willow with mourning, dreams and intuition.
- Palm Tree – Palm tree is also a well appreciated tattoo design, which is favored because of its aesthetic value. Such trees carry a delicate appeal, which is the reason why women love this tattoo design and its elongated structure makes it more suitable for areas like arms and legs. Symbolically, palm tree signify peace and harmony.
- Cherry Blossom Tattoo – One of the most amazing tree designs is the Asian cherry blossom tree, also called sakura tree design. The design stands for the beauty of cycle of life. The tattoo has a great visual appeal as it shows the bright pink flowers along with intricate details, which make it an eye catching fare.
- Oak Tree – Oak tree symbolizes bravery and strength, which makes one achieve victory and glory. It also denotes wisdom, patience and spirituality. Oak tree has been a part of several ancient religions, which makes it occupy a place of reverence in modern tattoo art too.
- Dead Tree – As the name suggests, dead tree is associated with the memories of a loved one and people usually get this design inked in order to show their grief and mourning. Usually inked on the back, the design features heavy shading and can even include some dark elements such as skull, wolf, lion or raven.
- Leaves Tattoo – Leaves are the most prominent part of the tree and can be used as an important design under this heading. A leaf denotes growth, fertility and happiness and may have some other meanings associated with them depending upon the tree they come from. For instance, ivy leaves denote friendship, birch leaves stand for purification while bay leaves signify healing.
- Some other Fruit Tree – Some other fruit trees may be included in tattoo designs and have different meanings attached to them. Apple trees represent temptation, sin, beauty and youth. Birch tree symbolizes new beginning and resurrection. Magnolia tree has been considered as the representation of resilience and beauty, since times immemorial.
Some other design elements which may be incorporated with tree art tattoos are birds, dreamcatcher, feathers, anchors, arrow, compass, flowers, clouds, stars, butterfly, dragonfly and some quotations, which add a new meaning to the design.
For sure, you already know the fact that you can place your tattoos anywhere part of the body you want. However, it is still very advantageous on your part if you will think about the placement many times before finally deciding. Keep in mind that the placement is one great factor that can make your tree tattoos extremely stunning and meaningful. Here are some of the common placements that you might want to take into account:
- Tattoo on Back – This is perfect for those bigger size since your back has a very wide space for tattooing. It might also be easy for the tattoo artist to engrave the design in this body part.
- Tattoo on Arms – Arms are elongated in size, so these are very good locations. Remember that these tattoos usually have elongated sizes.
- Tattoo on Legs – In case you do not want to place the tattoos on your arms but you still need to place them in an elongated body area, then why not place them on your legs. There is no way they cannot be beautiful there.
- Tattoo on Thigh – In case you want your tattoos to appear not that very obvious, then you can consider placing them on your thigh.
Tree tattoo is one great body art that you can have, as far as beauty and meanings are concerned. Trees are known to be sacred symbols of many cultures in the world, causing them to be extremely interesting to have. Just make sure to place the tattoo on the right body placement.
Trees play an important role in human existence as they replenish the supply of oxygen on the planet. Additionally, they symbolize beauty and resilience, which make them a popular choice in tattoo art. Men and women love to have this magnificent design inked on various parts of their body, because they have both, great aesthetic value and rich symbolic meaning.