Tattoos are like an style statement, which reflect your personality or attitude. There are different kinds of popular tattoos, with each kind having its own hidden meaning and significance. Dreamcatcher tattoo is an specially designed tattoo, which as the name suggests, is supposed to harbinger pleasant dreams on account of its mystical qualities. This is why these tattoos are gaining increasing popularity among women, and now, men too.
These days, there are great numbers of men and tattoo lovers who are choosing dreamcatcher as their body arts. However, women are the major wearers of a dreamcatcher art tattoo since it can display a very gorgeous feminine beauty. Just in case you do not know about the appearance of a dreamcatcher, it is simply a hope that has a woven mesh decorated with some beads and feathers that are hanging from it. It looks like a dangling ear ring. It is so sad to note that there are many people who are wearing this tattoo, but not all of them know the origin of the dreamcatcher.
Table of Contents
Dreamcatcher Tattoos Meanings
A dreamcatcher is actually being associated to the American Indian culture. It was made to be an important symbol of the culture way back in the 60’s and 70’s. Even so, the original wearers of this tattoo were said to be the Ojibwe people. In the real world situation, dreamcatcher is made for children. It is placed in their rooms in order for them to catch some good dreams. Some people have a belief that nightmares will go through in the hole in the middle. As the bad dreams are filtered out and the good ones are trapped on the web. By wearing Dreamcatcher art tattoos, it can help you in chasing away those bad dreams so that you can enjoy good dreams.
The Components of Dreamcatcher
It cannot be denied that there are a lot of people who already heard about a dreamcatcher art tattoo, but they do not have any idea what it looks like and what are the components of such tattoo. In case you are one of those people, then consider yourself lucky since listed below are the components of such tattoo that will make you well-acquainted about it.
- Hoop – The very first important component is the hoop. Depending on the design, it can be a single hoop or more. There are some designs that involve a big and a small hoops. The hoop will signify the life cycle of a person who is wearing the tattoo.
- Web – The second very significant component of this tattoo is the web. Yes, you guess it right. This is just like the spider web. It is designed right there at the center of the hoop. It is said that the function of the web is to trap all the bad dreams that you might experience when you are sleeping.
- Bead – Bead is another very important component of the tattoo in order to achieve its stunning look. The entire tattoo will not be complete without a single or more beads. Needless to say, the size of the bead will always depend on the entire size of the design that you choose. Most of the time, the bead will represent the spider that is located at the center of the web.
- Feather – And to complete the gorgeous tattoo image of a dreamcatcher, a feather is very important. It will be hanged under the hoop and it represents the air that you will be breathing while you are sleeping. The presence of the feather will ensure that there is air for you to breath.
Just in case you do know, the placement will also matter to achieve its greatness. Even so, it is all up to you where you wish to put it. But of course, it would be great to think about its placement many times before getting a this art . In this regard, here are some common placements of this tattoo that you might want to take into account:
- Dreamcatcher art on Wrist–The number one body part that you can place your dreamcatcher tattoo is your wrist. You can have it in both of your left and right wrists. But if you only want one dreamcatcher, you can decide whether you want it on your left wrist or right wrist. There is no way it will not look great on that placement.
- Dreamcatcher art on Back of the Neck –If you want to be out of ordinary, you can place your art right there at the back of your neck. The fact that people would still go towards your back in order to see this tattoo really makes it more interesting.
- Dreamcatcher art on Back of Your Ears –Another very unique yet worth considering placement is at the back of your ears. People will surely get very interested to know you if you have such tattoo at the back of your ears. Of course, it can also make you more gorgeous.
- Dreamcatcher art on Feets –Yes, it would also look great right there on your left or right foot. In fact a lot of ordinary people and celebrities are having a dreamcatcher art on this particular body placement.
Apart from above places dreamcatcher looks good on thighs, arm, hip, stomach and legs.
Famous People Views
If there are a lot of ordinary people who have engraved dreamcatcher art tattoos on ther bodies, there are also some famous people who have them. In fact, they are more than proud to display these tattoos in public. Here are some names of these famous personalities:
- Miley Cyrus – Who would not know about Miley Cyrus by the way? She is a very controversial American singer-songwriter who also happens to be an actress. This controversial American celebrity has a huge dreamcatcher art located right there at her right rib cage area. The tattoo is made up of 4 feathers that represent 4 siblings in her family. The entire design simply signifies family protection.
- Vanessa Franco – Vanessa Franco is another celebrity who is a very big fan of a dreamcatcher art. She has this very gorgeous tattoo right there at the right rib cage just like Miley Cyrus. She got this tattoo way back on July 8, 2014.
- Vanessa White – Vanessa White is a 26-year-old English actress, dancer, and singer-songwriter. She has this very gorgeous dreamcatcher art located on her right forearm. And under it are a heart and a cross tattoos located right there on wrist area.
Just as a dreamcatcher is considered as a protective talisman in the Native American culture, a dreamcatcher tattoo is supposed to bring a feeling of well being and personal security for the bearer. It has the power to keep away nightmares and safeguard the person from evil spirits and negativity. These tattoos signify nature and represent the freedom and power it has to offer.
Anishinabe tribe of America, also called the Chippewa tribe and the Ojibwa tribe of Canada, have been attributed for designing this unique craft called dreamcatcher. There was a popular belief among these people that new born babies are protected by a spider web, woven around their cribs by a mythical spider woman. They started hanging these dreamcatchers over the cribs of the babies as they thought that she could not visit all the new born babies. This is why the dreamcatchers were originally designed with eight points, to signify the legs of a spider, which are also eight in number. Over a period of time, there were several modifications in the designs of dreamcatchers, making them colorful to appeal to the little children while they played under them. Dreamcatchers occupy a scared position in the Native American culture, which is why there have been objections to having these tattoos placed on the body, particularly in case of a person who does not belong to the native American culture.
Popular Designs Options Dreamcatcher Art
There is a wide variety of designs available in dreamcatcher tattoos and the wearer can pick something to choose his taste and attitude. Traditionally, the center of the tattoo is designed as a web or net, surrounded by somewhat elaborate designing of natural things such as leaves or vines. Instead of leaves and vines, you can choose some other objects to reflect your personal style and meaning. The meaning of the objects should first be researched before having the tattoo made, for which you can enlist the help of an experienced tattoo artist. Some designs can have something as wild as animals like owl, ox or bison, which signify courage and power. In others, the central web may be adorned with feathers and beads, which is something similar to the design of an original dreamcatcher. Such designs bear simplicity and detail and can look really beautiful. A circular look encased in a heart shaped pattern is another popular design.
Ideally, men have dreamcatcher art on their upper arms, while some of them have a large one inked on their upper back area. On the other hand, women go for a smaller version of these tattoos on their shoulders, so that they look elegant. Since they bear a cultural significance, you need to be very careful about their placement on the body. It should be placed in such a manner that it should not hurt the sentiments of the others and also not interfere with your personal or professional life.
These mystical designs are gaining popularity not only in the Native American culture, but on a global level. They not only look good, but also have a meaning added to them.
Basically, dreamcatcher is an item which belongs to Native American culture and was traditionally used to bring good dreams for new born babies, by trapping bad ones and also the evil spirits. Structurally, dreamcatcher constitutes of a woven web, adorned with shells, beads, feathers or gemstones. It is hung over the bed or door of the bedroom, so that it would trap the negative energy and filter only positive energy to reach the baby sleeping under it. Another notion is that it lets negative dreams to pass through and keeps back the positive ones, so that they could become the part of the destiny of the person. In this way, they are believed to protect the person from evil and ensure good things for them. These powers of the dreamcatcher have made it a popular design for tattoos, much loved by people all over the world. It also reflects the rich Native American culture and history.