When it comes to tattoo art, floral designs have been on the pinnacle of popularity among tattoo designs since the beginning of this art form. The variety in flowers used for creating floral tattoo designs is extensive, with choices like rose, cherry blossom, sunflower, lotus and daffodils, to name just a few. Lily tattoos are another one among floral tattoo designs, which have a considerable fan following because of its aesthetic beauty as well as symbolic value. This flower is of great significance in history and religion because it some special symbolic meanings in various cultures. Moreover, there are numerous varieties in lily flowers, each one having a unique color and a different meaning, making the flower symbolically richer than other flowers in nature.
Lily flower tattoos are very common to a lot of tattoo lovers in the world today. These are some of the ever gorgeous flower tattoos that you can consider as adornments on your body, apart from rose tattoos, cherry blossom tattoos, daffodils tattoos, lotus tattoos, and sunflower tattoos. These are chosen by many people not only because of its extreme beauty that it can offer to the wearers, but also the important symbols it represents. Yes, you read it right. Lily designed tattoos are not just plain tattoos. They have great significance that you might still do not know yet.
Table of Contents
The lily flower definitely has a lot to signify specially when it comes to history, life, and religion. This is one of the main reasons why great numbers of tattoo lovers worldwide are opting for lily designed tattoos. If you do not have any idea about this thing, then here are some of the symbolisms of these tattoos:
- Motherhood – It was during the ancient Greek era when lily flower was greatly considered to be a symbol of motherhood. This is why it is a great choice of many women who love to be tattooed with flower design tattoos. However, this does not mean that it will no longer be great to be chosen by men.
- Eroticism – Eroticism can be greatly related to masculinity, which is a characteristic of men. In other words, lily art can also be great choices of men tattoo lovers in the world.
- Sexuality – During the past years, lily flower was also widely used in determining the sexuality of the new born baby. The expectant mother would choose between a lily flower and a rose flower. In case she chooses the lily, then her baby would be a boy, and if she chooses the rose flower, the baby would certainly be a girl.
- Christianity – When it comes to religion, the lily flower is considered to have a strong relation to Christianism. Many Christians believe that it represents the Virgin Mary. The three beautiful petals of this flower symbolize trinity, which is composed of charity, hope, and faith.
- Purity – The lily flower is also being associated to purity and innocence. It even represents birth, according to a number of ancient people.
Aside from those mentioned above, there are some more things that the lily flower art represents. It has something to do with new relationship, development, growth and even health. The lily design tattoo can also be a great choice of those people who are born in the month of May. It is simply because this is the birth flower of the said month.
Symbolic Significance of Lily Flower
Symbolically, the lily flower represents a variety of meanings such as motherhood, purity, fertility, innocence, faith, passion, partnerships, union, renewal and transition. The association of lily with motherhood dates back to the ancient period of Greek gods and goddesses as it is believes to have been derived from the breast milk of the Greek goddess Hera. The legend narrates that Zeus wanted his illegitimate son Hercules to be fed by his wife Hera so that he could become God. He tricked Hera into sleep and had Hercules suckle her breast, which he did so vigorously that the milk overflowed from it and flowed towards the heaven, making the Milky Way. When the milk flowed back towards the earth, it became a white lily. Besides being revered as a symbol of fertility and motherhood, lily has a masculine aspect too and is known to signify sexuality and eroticism.
The flower was even used by old wives to determine the sex of an unborn child. The mother was asked to choose between a rose and a lily, if she chose a rose, she would give birth to a girl and if she chose a lily, she would deliver a boy. The reason behind this is that the long pistil of the lily flower is associated with a male phallus because of the close resemblance. Lily also occupies a place of reverence in Christianity religion because it is the symbolic of Virgin Mary. Its three petals are considered as the symbol of trinity, representing faith, hope and charity. Lily is also a vital part of Tarot symbolism, where it is related with purity, fertility and innocence. It can indicate birth and new relationship when read in relation with other cards, while they also stand for health, growth and development. Lily is the birth flower of the month of May and is also a customary gift for a couple celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary.
Just in case you do not know, there are actually a lot of kinds of lily flowers that can also be designed as lily tattoos. Each of these kinds have different meanings and symbolisms, of course. Moreover, it is all up to you what kind of lily flower you want to get tattooed on your body. Here are some of them:
- Peruvian Lily – This is a very beautiful kind of lily that can be seen in different colors. You can see it in red, purple, pink, yellow, white, and orange colors. The Peruvian Lily is branded as the “Lily of the Incas” since it was widely grown during the Inca Empire. The things that it represents are friendship, commitment, devotion, and graduation. As a matter of fact, many graduating college and high school students in the past and even up to now are getting tattooed with Peruvian Lily.
- White Lily – As its name suggests, the White Lily has a beautiful color that has perennials and scaly bulbs. The other name being branded to this kind of lily is “Madonna Lily”. The things that it symbolizes are new level of life, death, love, life, and the Virgin Mary.
- Lily of the Valley – Amongst the different kinds of lilies that can be found in the world, the Lily of the Valley is one of those that has great smell. This has a bell-like shape, and it is associated to religion, specifically Christianism. It was said that the Lily of the Valley came into existence because of the tears shed by Eve when she and Adam were exiled by the God. It represents things like devotion, humility, and love. In fact, such flower is commonly used during the 2nd wedding anniversary of many couples worldwide.
- Stargazer Lily – Stargazer is a huge kind of lily. Its size is definitely bigger than the normal kinds of lilies that you might ever see. It can stand in a maximum height of 36 inches, and its wideness can reach as much as 16 inches. Just like the Peruvian Lily, the Stargazer Lily also has different colors such as orange, white, and pink. The white Stargazer Lily is known in representing empathy and sympathy, while the pink one represents wealth and prosperity.
- Calla Lily – Calla Lily is another kind of lily that can bloom with a very gorgeous flower, which can make you fall in love with. It will keep on blooming all year long, so you can surely witness its gorgeousness every single day. The things that Calla Lily signifies are purity, elegance, sensuality, love, and awakenings.
- Orange Lily – One interesting thing about the Orange Lily is the fact that it has a bowl-like shape. If you are not familiar with it, then you definitely know its more popular name that is the Tiger Lily. Though it is called Orange Lily, its color can also be red. This lily flower actually symbolizes negative things such as disdain and hate.
Needless to say, you can always decide on your own which part of your body you want to engrave. You can put it everywhere you want. Even so, it is much better if you put it in a certain body part with an absolute purpose. Here are some of the body parts where you can place your lily designed tattoos:
- Chest – Since most of the lily kinds are symbolizing love, then it is of no question why it is much better to be placed in your chest area. It might be a little painful on that part, but it is all worth it for sure, specially if you already see the final tattoo product.
- Lily Art on Neck – Neck is also one great part of the body where you can display your lily art. Nevertheless, make sure that you do not mind exposing tattoos to the public since neck is an open area most of the time, unless you are always wearing a collared shirts.
- Lily Art on Back – Of course, anyone could do nothing about it if you want to place your lily art on your back. This is absolutely a great body portion to place your tattoo. One advantage of putting it on your back is that you will have an unlimited space. Meaning to say, you can have a bigger size.
Different Lily Tattoo Flower Designs
As said before, lilies are available in different colors and varieties and the tattoos can be so depicted, depending upon what the bearer wants to convey through it. Here are some popular lily flower tattoo designs:
- White Lily – White Lily are a popular choice among female bearers because they represent Virgin Mary, which is the reason why they are often referred to as Madonna lily. These tattoos also stand for love, life, transition and death or passing to a new stage of the next life.
- Lily of the Valley Tattoo – Lily of the Valley is one of the sweetest smelling flowers and has a legend behind it that it was formed by the tears of Eve as she and Adam were exiled from the heaven. This tattoo not only possesses ethereal beauty but also has rich symbolism behind it as it stands for humanity and devotion.
- Calla Lily – Calla Lily make a popular variety among tattoos because of their elegance and charm. Symbolically, these flowers indicate love and purity.
- Peruvian Lily – If you want to opt for a colorful tattoo design, then Peruvian lily would make a good choice for you as they come in a host of vibrant colors such as pink, red, yellow, orange, purple and white. The tattoo is popular among students as it is a symbol of graduation, which is why a number of students get it inked when they graduate from high school and college. Additionally, this tattoo is associated with friendship, devotion and commitment.
In addition to choosing one of these lily art to be inked in solitude, one can also have some elegant design elements added to the basic lily art design to make it more appealing and meaningful. The lily art is equally popular among men and women as its meaning can be interpreted in both ways. Keeping in view the basic purpose of tattoo inking, which is to seek attention, the best placements are the lower back, shoulder, arm, hip, calf, back of the neck and back of the ear. The ultimate choice of the placement however, depends upon the size of the design as well as the personal choice of the bearer.
Popular Images Of Lily Flower Tattoos
Lily tattoos are definitely beautiful tattoos that can be put on one’s body. Aside from the fact that it can exude a beautiful image, these tattoos also have important meanings. These can be placed anywhere you want in your body, but these can be best displayed on your back, chest, and neck areas.