Nature has created huge diversity in nature- from man to animals and the winged creatures, birds, which stand for freedom and emancipation. These amazing creatures have fascinated the humans with their ability of flapping their wings and flying high in the skies. It is perhaps, this fascination which has made bird tattoos a favorite choice among tattoo lovers, in the past and today. These tattoo designs have impressed both men and women, who want them to be inked on their bodies. They have interested the designers since a long time, and this is the reason why they have been unleashing their creativity for bringing forth some innovative ideas for the best of designs in this genre. These tattoos are not only high in aesthetic value, but are considered symbolically important too.
Today, more and more people are getting fascinated about having bird art on their body. Maybe, one reason for this is the fact that they love birds. Well, there is no question about that since these animals are really adorable. Aside from their cute physical appearance, they also have unique personality that everyone will surely love. There are many kinds of birds in the world, and they differ in physical appearance and sizes. This is why they can be broad subjects for tattooing. Even though they are not a bit difficult to be engraved on your body because of their tiny complicated details, professional tattoo artists never stop making some innovations on the tattoo designs of a bird art. This is the reason why you can now have a wide selection of designs for this particular body tattoo.
Table of Contents
Bird Tattoos Meanings
Just like the other tattoos available that you can try wearing these days, the bird art tattoos also has a lot of things to represent. If you want to know them, then here is the list of some of these things:
- Freedom – One very obvious thing that a bird art represents is freedom. The explanation for this is also very obvious. It is simply because birds can fly anywhere they want freely. Nobody is dictating where to go. If you want to showcase your free spirited side, then having a bird art is great.
- Reverence – Reverence is another thing that a bird art represents. A lot of people in the ancient times considered birds as heroes. They helped those people who fought all the evils that have been destroying places and killing people. This is the reason why a lot of cultures in the world are praising birds.
- Goodness – Many people also believed that a bird art is symbolizing goodness, specially those Christian people. It is because they believe that birds have strong connection to angels who are humans that have wings in them.
- Beauty – Of course, who would oppose to the fact that a bird art symbolizes beauty? No one for sure since birds are extremely gorgeous creatures that you will surely love looking at. Their different feather colors are simply adorable.
- Love – Another thing that a bird art tattoo symbolizes is love. This is because birds are very loving animals. Dove birds are the ones being associated to love. In fact, these birds are used during wedding ceremonies to show the intense love of the newly weds to each other.
- Peace – It is also representing world peace. In fact, many slogans and drawings that imply peace have dove birds drawn on them. In case you are one of those people who are strongly hoping for world peace, then a dove bird art tattoo would be great for you.
Beautiful Designs To Consider for Bird Art
For sure, you will be surprised how many variations of designs that bird art tattoos have. Most of these design variations are already tried by a lot of people in the world and so far, they are very happy with their decision of engraving the this art of their choice. In relation to this, here are some of the gorgeous designs that you can take into consideration:
- Twin Birds on Wrist Tattoo Design – This is a very cute design that is chosen by a number of ladies out there. This involves two small size birds engraved on the wrist. The big question is, can you make the size of the birds bigger? Well, you surely cannot since wrist is just a small area of the body. Even so, it is rest assured that its beauty is huge enough for someone to ignore. It will now depend on your hired tattoo artist on how to make some twists on the design to make it look even more gorgeous.
- Dove Bird Art Design – This might be very common design of a bird art tattoo, but it will never be outranked as one of the most gorgeous and very meaning designs that you can also have on your body. This design is perfect for men and women who want to have a bird art. This tattoo design is representing love and peace. Hence, if you are a peace loving person, then you can definitely wear such tattoo with justice.
- Tweety Bird Design – If you want to show the playful side of you, then you can definitely try the Tweety bird art design. For sure, you are fully acquainted about Tweety bird. It is a famous cartoon character in Disneyland. Such design is being loved by a number of female tattoo lovers. The number reason for this is the fact that she is a female cartoon character. However, men can also have this tattoo, but the Tweety bird must be designed in a masculine way.
- Phoenix Bird Design – This design is definitely one of the most gorgeous and the most sought after by men and women tattoo lovers in the world. The beyond compare beauty of this design is simply irresistible. Aside from the beautiful bird, this design is also incorporated with flames that are surrounding the entire bird, making the whole design extra enchanting.
- Swallow Tattoo Design – There is no doubt about the fact that swallow tattoos are extremely meaningful. Meaning to say, this is not just all about beauty, since it will also showcase things about your life like those that you have gone through. This will also reflect to your own unique personality. This is why in choosing a swallow tattoo design, you need to take into account your personality.
- Hummingbird Design – A hummingbird is definitely a beautiful tiny creature that is freely flying on its own. It symbolizes a lot of things, which is the main reason why it is widely used as a subject for tattooing. Aside from the fact that it can create a very meaningful hummingbird tattoo, it is also assured that it will look great on the wearer’s body, regardless of its body placement.
- Peacock Tattoo Design – Peacock tattoos make one of the most alluring tattoo designs because they display the amazing colors of its tail and feathers to perfection. This tattoo design is a perfect one because it abounds not only in aesthetic beauty but symbolism too.
- Crow And Raven Design – These tattoos are popular among both men as well as women and they represent the meanings specifically associated with these mysterious avian friends.
Birds are associated with freedom and ultimate liberty of the soul and the mind, which is why a person bearing a bird tattoo is usually regarded as a free spirited one, who has both the attitude and strength of character of being himself. Birds have a great significance in the symbolic sense as they are an important part of history and mythology in different cultures around the world. In many cultures, birds have been instrumental in helping heroes to help fight evil and be victorious over it, which makes them such revered creatures, while in some other cultures, they have been regarded as negative beings. In Christianity, birds have been compared with angels as both of them have wings, which associate birds with goodness. Similarly, they have featured in a number of important religious ceremonies of certain cultures, while they have been a part of nuptial customs of Africa. In fact, the cultural significance of these feathered creatures have earned them a rightful place in the fields of art too, as in this case, in tattoo art.
Creative Options To Opt
The variety in bird art tattoo designs is immense, owing to the presence of countless species of birds in nature. Each particular species of birds is associated with its own characteristic features and personality traits, which frame the basis of choosing a design for oneself. It can be done on the basis of resemblance of one’s own personality or attitude to a particular species of birds. The birds which have found popular place in bird designs include eagles, phoenix, swallows, sparrows, doves, peacocks tattoos, humming birds, raven and crow tattoos to name just a few. Here are some popular designs:
- Couple Bird Art – Instead of single bird art, people usually prefer designs which show birds in the form of couples. They can be shown as a symbol of free love and togetherness between a couple. They can also represent sexuality as in some cultures, the cock, which is a bird is considered as the male organ.
- Bird Silhouette Tattoo – Instead of picturing a bird, another option is the one which shows the silhouette of a bird or a cluster of them, pictured over a wide area, as the back or the chest of the bearer. It can also be fashioned on the arm or the shoulder. Silhouettes of small birds done in simple black color, look good on the forearm or the back. A feather can be incorporated along with the design to make the design more intricate and appealing.
- Good v/s Evil Bird Art – Another impressive option which showcases a bird image in the form of a story, which depicts the ultimate victory of the good over the evil. For instance, the tattoo design may include a bird which stands for the good, putting up a fight against a snake, which represents the evil.
- Dove Bird Art – Doves are the birds, which have symbolized peace and harmony since times immemorial. By opting for a dove bird tattoo design, a person can make a show of his peace loving and calm nature, showing his attitude to the whole world. This artful piece of work can be presented on the back, neck, arm or leg. The word “Peace” or a related quote can be inked along with to make the tattoo even more meaningful.
- Love Tattoo – A pair of birds singing some musical notes with a colorful backdrop can be used as a tattoo symbolizing love. One can have some words or quotes added to the tattoo, or the name of a loved one.
- Peacock Tattoo – A vibrantly colored peacock tattoo can look really amazing on both, men as well as women. Peacock tattoo needs a great deal of detailing and impressive use of bright colors, which makes it essential that the tattoo should be done by an experienced and qualified tattoo artist only. Also, it can be quite expensive and a lot of pain may be involved to create the difficult design. The peacock tattoo is considerably big in size and needs a large area to be inked on. Despite so many complications involved in getting such a tattoo, the beauty of this tattoo makes it a highly desirable bird tattoo design.
- Tweety Bird Art – Most of us would be familiar with the famous cartoon bird art tattoo called Tweety. This is another great choice for those looking to get cool and funny looking bird arts. Tweety bird design is a small one, which is suitable for smaller areas like the wrist and the ankle.
- Swallow Bird Art – Swallow is a bird which stands for peace and this is a well liked option for those interested in getting art etched. This bird can be done in some bright colors or a single black or grey, but the results are equally impressive. One can go for the either of them, depending upon one’s personal taste. A swallow carrying a rosary is a well appreciated art, which can be seen commonly.
- Tribal Bird and Phoenix Tattoo – Tribal designs remain the timeless favorites among all kinds of tattoo designs, as these traditional designs reflect the ancient tattoo art in all its originality. Tribal tattoos are done in black, with flowing and swirling patterns to create an amazing end result. One of the most impressive patterns in tribal bird designs is the tribal fire bird art, which shows the bird in flames, just like the phoenix. The phoenix bird holds a place of importance in ancient Egyptian and Chinese culture, as they signify the rise of the bird from the dead or its rebirth, reflecting the same attitude in the tattoo bearer. Phoenix tattoos have their own set of fans, with people going for brightly colored as well as classic black phoenix tattoos. Tribal design also feature birds with design elements like flowers, which can make them look aesthetically beautiful.
Of course, you need to take into account where you should engrave your bird art tattoo. The truth is, you can always place it anywhere you want to, but be sure it is according to your purpose of getting this tattoo. Here are some of the common placements where these tattoos are placed on people’s body:
- Bird Art on Back – Your back has a wider space for tattoos, so it is obviously the right place for those designs that involve bigger sizes of the birds such as the Phoenix tattoos. You can choose to have your back fully covered by the bird art design you want. But if you want smaller sizes, you can just place it on your upper back or lower back.
- Bird Art on Calves – Your calf is another common location for this art. Calves are longer, so they will be perfect for those bird art tattoo designs that need longer space.
- Bird Art on Chest – Chest area is also once very common placement for a bird art. It will be perfect for those designs that represent love and peace like the dove tattoo.
- Bird Art on Wrist – In case you only want smaller sizes of bird designs, then there is no need to worry since you can just place them on your wrist parts. They will certainly look great on these locations.
There are some other body parts where bird arts can be placed such as thighs, breast, arm, forearm, hip, rib, neck, hand and foot.
There is no way bird tattoos would not become extremely gorgeous tattoos that anyone can have on their body. Aside from the fact that these will enhance your physical look, these will also make your life very meaningful. It is because every design of a bird art has full of meanings and symbolism. What you need to do is find the best professional tattoo artist in town who can help you engrave the bird art design that you choose. With his or her help, nothing can stop you from tattooing birds on your body.
In addition to the bird arts mentioned above, there have been continued efforts to add more variety of design , with birds like sand pipers, humming birds, ravens and Celtic bird patterns included. The overall aim of this art is to not only to attract attention towards the bearer, but also bring out the actual personality and attitude of the tattoo bearer.