These days, nose piercings are extremely popular all over the globe, and one good examples is the septum piercing. This piercing is done on the dividing wall of the left and right nostril that is made up of thick cartilage. This particular area is known as nasal septum. The other popular name of this piercing is bull piercing. Well, the explanation for this is very literal. It is because it simply looks like the ring being put on a bull’s nose. This piercing certainly symbolizes a number of things like bravery. It is because it can be displayed visibly to the public when you have this piercing on your nose. Just like any other piercings that can be found on the body, this piercing will also make you look great and unique in the eyes of many people surrounding you.
The nasal septum, which is the exact location of a septum piercing, is one of the most sensitive parts of the nose. This is the reason why you need to find the best and well-experienced professional piercer who will perform the procedure. Here are the important things that are expected to be done by a professional piercer during the procedure:
- Cleaning the entire area is the very first thing that will be done by the professional piercer. It is needed so that there will be no infections that will take place. This infection is caused by bacteria that may be there in the area.
- Second thing is marking the piercing points. This is done so that the piercing needle will have a guide and path to track with. It will be very advantageous on the piercer’s part. In doing so, surgical marking pens are very helpful.
- The third thing is that the professional piercer will insert the needle right there in the soft spot under the nasal cartilage. In order to make hit easier, the piercer may make use of a piercing clamp.
- Next is that the piercer will insert the jewelry of your choice. For the jewelry, you have to make sure that you choose the one that will not be the cause of allergic reactions. You should know in advance if your skin is allergic to something or not.
- And for the final touch, the professional piercer will give you some tips on how to take good care of your piercing and the pierced area as well. You should listen to him or her well because these tips are very important, and these can affect the entire recovery period of the wound caused by the piercing procedure.
The Septum Piercing Pain
Needless to say, it is normal for you to feel some pain when undergoing a procedure. When the needle is inserted in the soft spot, you will surely feel an unexplainable feeling. You will also feel that your eyes will begin to have some tears. These are just normal reactions of your body. But when talking about pain, you should know that amongst the piercing procedures that you might undergo, it is one of those not so painful ones. Even so, this will always depend on the pain tolerance of a certain person. In case you have higher pain tolerance, then it is expected that you will only feel a tolerable pain. But if you are one of those people out there who have lower pain tolerance, then you should make yourself ready since you will definitely feel the intense pain specially when the needle is inserted into the exact piercing location.
The Healing Process
Of course, the minor or severe pain that you feel will just go away after a certain period of time. The wound on the pierced area will also heal as days go by. After you have undergone a procedure, it is expected that the entire nose may be affected. A single touch on the nose may create some pain, so you have to be careful. This will be the normal scenario for about 2 to 3 weeks. But after 3 weeks, rest assured that the pain is completely gone away. Even so, this does not mean that the wound inside is also completely healed. Sad to say, this is not the case since it will still take time before it happens. It will take around 6 months up to 8 months before you can say that the wound and the pierced area are completely healed already. Thus, just be sure to have a lot of patience with you. It will help, for sure.
The Aftercares Needed
Just in case you are not aware, the aftercares are the ones being advised by your professional piercer after undergoing the piercing procedure. These things play a very important role in hastening the healing process. Here are the aftercares you need to keep in mind at all times:
- Clean the pierced area regularly. It should be done once or twice, depending on what your professional piercer told you. This can help in keep the wound on the pierced area clean and away from bacteria that can cause some horrible complications. You can make use of cotton and an amount of water that is mixed with some teaspoon of sea salt.
- Wash your hands before doing the cleaning. This is to make sure that your hands are clean enough and free from bacteria. Remember, bacteria can be the main cause of complications that you certainly don’t want to experience. You can utilize an antibacterial soap in washing your hands.
- Don’t try to remove the crusts formed outside the wound. It is actually normal since the wound will produce some fluids. Anyway, the crusts will be removed on their own when you are doing the cleaning or when you are taking a bath.
- Don’t try to reposition the piercing when you notice that it is not in the right position. The truth is, it is just normal to be not in the right position specially when the pierced area is swelling. It is rest assured that it will be in the right position when swelling is gone.
- Don’t touch the pierced area when it is not necessary. It is because touching it will just give some strain towards the wound, which might result to some irritations. Remember that the wound on the pierced area is very sensitive while it is on its recovery stage. Plus, your hands may contain some infection-causing bacteria.
Pros and Cons
Irritating when you have a runny nose
Rejections are impossible, migrations are rare
Never stays aligned, always crooked
Easy care and simple healing process
Septum Stench: the smell of dead skin cell build up
Wide range of jewelry (see above)
“Bull ring” remarks are common
Works well on many people
Very easy to bump during the healing period
Unless the professional piercer is offering his or her service for free, a septum piercing procedure will normally be associated with a price that you need to pay. However, there is no need to worry since the price will just be affordable for you. Most of the time, you will pay around $40 or higher than that. But the truth is, the cost of this kind of piercing procedure will depend on several important factors. Here are these factors:
- The Piercer Himself or Herself – Every piercer has their own level of reputation. If the piercer is reputable enough that some of his or her customers are the famous personalities, then it is just right to say that he or she might has a higher service fee. Thus, you need to prepare your own budget.
- The Complexity of the Procedure – This thing applies on some other situations, not only in the piercing procedures. The more difficult the procedure to perform, the higher the price you should expect from it. But in a this piercing’s case, it will just be easy for a professional piercer to perform it, so there is no need to worry.
- The Cost of Your Chosen Jewelry – This is another important factor that can greatly affect the price of the entire piercing procedure. If you choose a jewelry with a higher price, then it is expected that you will pay more. But in choosing a jewelry, it is actually not good to just go on with the price. You also need to consider if it does not contain some materials that will badly react to your skin type, which can then lead to some irritations.
How to Make a Fake Septum Piercings
You should know that there are a lot of options that you can take into account when it comes to the jewelry for your piercing on the nasal septum. These jewelry options are the ones being recommended by numerous piercing professionals. Here are these jewelry options:
- Captive Bead Rings – Both of the endings of these jewelries have balls that are the center of attractions of these jewelry options. There is no threading in these options, so you can be sure that these will be perfect options. Eve so, a bead jewelry may be difficult to insert in your nasal septum. A professional piercer can certainly handle it of course, so there’s no need for you to worry.
- Circular Barbells – Most of the time, these jewelry options are being called “horseshoe rings”. These are ¾ of a circle in size, and both of their ends have beautiful shining balls or spikes. With that being said, there is no way these will not look good on you.
- Retainers – If you want jewelry that can be simply flipped up onto your nasal septum, then these ones are the perfect choices for you. These options have two shapes that you can choose from. You can go for a curvier one or the staple-shaped one.
- Clickers – These jewelry options are actually straight rods, which have hinges. Before you go for these jewelries however, you should see to it that your nose perfectly fit for them since they have unusual shapes unlike the other options.
Some Gorgeous Jewelry Examples and their Prices
For sure, you want to know the exact appearances of the jewelry options that you can have, so that you can check out if these will really look great on you. Moreover, you also want to know their prices, right? Well then, here are some gorgeous jewelry examples including their prices:
- Gold Captive Bead – As its name suggests, this bead jewelry is made of gold, making it a perfect option for those people out there who love wearing gold jewelries. The price of this gorgeous jewelry is around $66.47.
- Captive Bead – This is the usual piercing that you can see on a certain person, and it is priced around $4.95.
- Septum Round Gem – In case you want to wear a septum jewelry that has round shape, then the Septum Round Gem could be the perfect one for you. Even so, its price may not be that good for you. You can have it for $231.75.
- Drop Shaped Septum Ring – This is a unique jewelry that you can wear as a piercing on your nasal septum. You need to prepare $92 before you can have it.
- Nose Ring Hoop – This is another gorgeous jewelry example that you can have. It looks like a hula hoop in appearance, and this is why it is called nose ring hoop. Its price however, might be a bit higher on your part, which is $247.95.
- Threaded Horseshoe – If you don’t want to spend on those jewelries that have higher prices, then this one could be the perfect option for you. It is priced in a budget friendly way, which is around $10.25.
- Yellow Gold Circular Barbell – Barbell jewelry is one common option that people wear on their nasal septum. Even though it is a common one, there is no way it cannot be gorgeous to see when you wear it. Its price is around $102.64.
- Silver Horseshoe – If you don’t want to wear gold jewelry or you are just simply allergic to gold, then silver horseshoe is the one you need. It is priced around $16.95.
Without a doubt, a septum piercing can be a unique and gorgeous adornment that you can have on your nose part. It will certainly make you stand out among the crowd. Even so, you should know a lot of information about it before giving it a try.