Fashion conscious girls love to accentuate their beauty and best features with designer clothing, make up and accessories. In addition to these fashion tips and ideas, tattoos for girls make an amazing way to highlight their personalities and make heads turn in their direction. Tattoos can literally add a new dimension to the personality of young boys and girls, and at the same time, they can reflect their attitude and present them as cool and stylish youngsters. When we talk about girls with tattoos, there was a time when they were considered as a taboo for them, showcasing a rebellious streak in these young girls, but over a period of time, tattoos became more of a fashion statement rather than a symbol of rebellion.
Some fifty or sixty years ago was the period of time when women who bore tattoos were looked down upon with regard to their moral character, but time has brought a big change in this attitude with progressive thinking. This led to social acceptance of female tattoos and they made an important place in tattoo art, with tattoo designers putting in more and more efforts for creating special tattoo design ideas for girls. Moreover, as female celebrities have shown an inclination towards getting themselves inked, the popularity of female tattoos have reached a new high.
We can see more and more celebrities dwelling in the art and people actually love the tattoos artists get on different parts of their bodies.
Here at TheStyleUp we have compiled a list of the top best selling tattoos for girls, designs and have even taken time to explain what meanings are thus associated with those tattoos in general, just to make your tattoo selection ritual a lot easier. Take a look with their symbols and meanings.
Table of Contents
Choosing the Right Tattoo Design For Females
Female tattoos have become a widely popular form of feminine body art, with more and more girls going for them, despite the pain and price factors. There was a time when more men were seen sporting tattoos on their chests, arms and shoulders, but these days, they are becoming equally visible. While going for a body tattoo design, girls should not only consider the aesthetic value of the tattoo but also the symbolic meaning of its design as the tattoo is going to be a part of her for a lifetime, which makes it necessary to be meaningful and reflective. Feminine designs need to be delicate and for a first time bearer, the smaller the design, the better it is. It is so because a small design would cost lesser and also it would be less painful as compared to a bigger design.
Moreover, smaller tattoos are more desirable as they look cute and they can be easily hidden, if the girl wants to hide it sometime later. Another benefit of having a small sized tattoo done is that smaller tattoos can later be hidden underneath larger ones, once the bearer gets bored with it. Tattoos on girls need to be intricate and should not be at all aggressive, a trend which is more prevalent in tattoo designs for men. Overall, a girl should choose the tattoo design with great care because a tattoo is of lasting nature and it needs to be something really special, which she can bear forever and ever.
Placement Ideas For Girls Tattoos
In addition to making the right choice of tattoo design, placement of tattoos is equally vital when talking about girl tattoos. Tattoos reflect some very special emotions like love, happiness, rebellion, freedom, pain and affection, which makes it all the more important for them to be placed at the correct location on a girl’s body. The place where a tattoo is to be inscribed should be such that the location and the design should complement each other and make the tattoo even more meaningful. For instance, a girl can have the name of her lover tattooed on her ring finger to showcase the eternal love for him. On the other hand, the wrists, fingers, ear and ankles are ideal to feature small tattoos like stars, hearts, flowers, birds or anchors. A quote or name can be incorporated here and there. The placement of a tattoo on a girl’s body can give it a whole new meaning and at the same time, accentuate that part of the body.
The positioning also determines how eye catching a tattoo can be. Some other favorable spots for back, stomach, sleeve, rib, chest, thighs, legs, neck, shoulder and inner arms. One can also have a tattoo on her feet, but these need extra care and are not quite long lasting, because of the nature of the skin in this area. Tattoos on lower back, side, thighs and hips can be flaunted by girls, when they wear beach wear or revealing dresses. Such tattoos are becoming increasingly popular these days because man global celebrities have been seen showing them off on more than one occasions.
Most Popular Tattoos For Girls
As said before, they need to feature smaller, delicate and feminine designs, yet they need to have a symbolic meaning. Here are some of the most popular designs:
The heart is the eternal symbol of love and passion, which makes it ideal to be featured on females. Small sized heart designs are ideal for girls, with Celtic hearts and paired hearts being the most favored ones among the girls. Pairs usually represent the beloved or spouse and can be incorporated by the couple’s name to make the tattoo more meaningful. Ornate designs also seem to have its own set of fans, while simple designs featuring colored hearts remain timeless favorite among girls.
Another well loved tattoo for girls is the floral design, which is considered feminine and delicate. The beauty and delicacy of flowers make them more suitable for being used in designer tattoos for girls. Additionally, designers can use this highly versatile option for creating innovative designs with numerous options available in flowers such as roses, sunflowers, lilies, lotus, daffodils, cherry blossom, hibiscus and many more. Also, each of these flowers is associated with a different symbolic meaning and girls can choose the one which suits her personality.
Butterflies and Birds
Some other preferred tattoo designs for girls feature natural objects like butterflies and birds, which not only look very feminine and pretty on girls, but also symbolize freedom and beauty. Fairies and angels can also be included and they represent special magical powers. Tattoo designers have also used dragonflies and ladybugs among tattoo designs. Birds such as swallow, hummingbird, phoenix and dove are most popular among tattoo lovers.
Another cool option is celestial bodies like stars, sun and moon. A crescent moon along with a few small stars looks very pretty on girls. These designs look pretty on wrists, ankles, upper arms and neck. Some girls can go for zodiac signs according to their birth dates.
In addition to delicate images and designs, some girls prefer simple and plain words and quotes while going for a tattoo on their body. But this, in no way means that these tattoos are less than colorful picture bearing designs, rather they are far more meaningful. Even celebrities are going for such tattoos which carry the names of their loved ones or text relating to their feelings and attitude. To add a designer effect to these text tattoos, the creative designer will incorporate text with pictures for a complete effect.
Bow tattoo is another ultra feminine design, which is quite popular among women of all ages, as these represent love and femininity. The ribbon bow design looks good on ankles, wrists, arms, back, neck, back of the ear and legs. Vibrantly colored bows look even prettier on girls, with red bows standing for love and passion and white ones symbolizing childlike innocence.
One of the most favored tattoo designs for girls is the bejeweled designs, presenting tattoos in the form of jewelry pieces like rings, bracelets, pendants and ear rings. A great way to carry the reminder of a lifelong relationship with your spouse is to have the wedding ring tattoo on the ring finger, which can be kept along with the bearer at all times. Some girls can get friendship bracelet pairs with the best friends name etched on her wrist. A pendant tattoo close to the heart not only looks pretty on girls but also expresses the feelings close to one’s heart, as one can have the name of a loved one written in the pendant tattoo. These look trendy and are not likely to be lost.
Besides all the tattoo designs mentioned above, another cool and useful option of making use of tattoo designs is make up tattoos, which helps girls get permanent make up. These include lip liners, eye liners and brow liners, which saves the girls from doing make up again and again, and making them good forever and ever. The process is quite expensive and painful but the results are absolutely amazing. Another preferable choice is tribal designs such as dreamcatcher, feathers, anchors, cross, infinity, Maori, samurais, yin yang, mandala, buddha, musical instruments, ribbon, dragon, lion, owl, octopus, elephant, wolf, disney, arrows, skulls, compass, geometric, trees, pocket watch, biomechanical, pin up girl, japanese tattoos and fish designs, which have some extra special meaning.
Some designs such as 3d tattoos, old school tattoos, white ink tattoos, day of the dead tattoos, sister tattoos, mother daughter tattoos, best friend tattoos, carpe diem tattoos, watercolor tattoos, henna tattoos are most popular among tattoo lovers.
With so many options available in girlish tattoos, these tattoos have now become even more attractive, inviting girls and women to have these tattoos done. So when are you planning to have a new tattoo done???
Categorized In Terms Of Design / Color
After the most looked up tattoos in the world we must now give you a detailed overview about what kinds of tattoos are basically there in terms of coloring and this might make you well able to decide which suits best with your attitude, personality and the theme of the tattoo that you may have selected. In the years when your parents might have also been involved in getting a tattoo, the techniques were pretty much solid and monochromatic but now things are really charged up.
A. Black / Gray Tattoos
The titles pretty much gives up the basic detail. These tattoos are actually the epitome of monochromatic art.
- Black and Gray tattoo doesn’t mean that it will look all pale and purposeless.
- Artists these days are involved in creating some amazing 3D monochromatic tattoos that it looks as if they are life like.
- The black and gray tattoos that were done in the past can be considered pretty dull then what artists are capable of creating now.
- It is not necessary for you to get a 3D monochromatic tattoo. An artist can engrave a perfect looking, solid monochromatic tattoo as well.
B. Colored Tattoos
You guessed it right, life isn’t that boring after all in the world of tattoos, not everything is in a dull and dark shade of black and gray everywhere, you should feel happy and great for there are many tattoo artists that are known to have a full command on colored tattoos.
- Colored tattoos look extremely aesthetic, more like a piece of art when the artist has actually done justice to the toning and shading.
- There are old school colored tattoos that do not include any shading or gradiance and are based purely on solid colors.
- People fond of tattooing; opt for both old school solid colored as well as shaded colored tattoos.
- After getting a colored tattoo one must work an extra mile to save the tattoo and the color from excessive sun exposure because it might end up damaging the skin cells holding the tattoo together.
C. Portrait & Fine Line Tattoos
You might have come across people that have had some amazing portraits tattooed on their bodies, this isn’t as easy as it may seem because many artist wither painters or tattoos fail miserably in copying a good portrait o to the skin based on a number of things.
- The place of the tattoo plays a real important part in determining the final output of a portrait tattoo.
- Many artists have a certain image size criteria and artists do not accept samples that are below the required resolution size because that way it is almost inevitable to understand the fine lines required in pumping up the sketch.
- This is required for both human and animal portraits.
D. Tribal/Solid Ink Tattoos
Many men and women are not too fond to get fancy tattoos on their bodies and you might as well noticed thick lines and as of what seems like symbols belonging to some ancient or discreet language, well that’s the beauty of solid ink or in other terms Tribal tattoos.
- These tattoos are usually not filled with colors as it is not the demand of the tattoo.
- Many solid ink tattoos are not just geometrical designs but are basically sacred symbols belonging to different tribal or ancient cultures.
- Such symbols hold some very religious or moral significance with them.
- These days designs adapted from Celtic, Japanese or other Asian characters are preferred for such tattoos.
E. Freehand / Custom Made Tattoos
Most of you won’t really be acquainted with the idea of having a freehand or a custom made tattoo but there are a lot of people who are going after this technique in terms of having a tattoo that is completely original and unique for them.
- Freehand tattoos basically mean that they wouldn’t be engraved after the skin has been pre-prepped with a draft image or something of that sort.
- Freehand means that the tattoo artist will start right away and will keep on adjusting the design and the technique as per the place of the body where the tattoo is being made.
- Custom made tattoos is done on the paper on spot for the client to work it up according to their demand.
- Most custom made tattoo clients hold the right to the created masterpiece and do not allow replication of their desired work.
F. Touch –up/Rework Tattoos
It is true that tattoos actually fade away when they are tremendously exposed to sun rays this happens due to the constant UV based damage brought to the cells in the dermis layer that are holding the ink. These layers are than immediately discarded by the body and hence the ink of the tattoo fades away along with the cells.
- Touch-up tattoos are basically quick work tattoos that are immediately taken in by artists who have done the work themselves Artists do recommend people to look after their tattoos but some mistakes are inevitable.
- Cover-up tattoos on the other hand are based usually on people who are to make something good out of their hideously looking tattoos.
- So for those who have had a bad time with a previous tattoo can actually look for comfort in another artist’s work?
Important Thought Before Going
There’s a whole checklist that you should actually sit down and prepare now if you are really willing to go for getting your dream tattoo. Why is it really such a fuss? Only because tattoos are permanent, if it weren’t nobody would have actually given a second thought about getting one anyway. It is only because of the permanence that people need to give a very concentrated attention to both their mental and emotional thoughts.
A. ALWAYS VISIT THE ARTIST’S STUDIO
Before finalizing an artist for the tattoo session always make sure that you roam around and just have a viewing session at the artist’s studio because this will actually help you judge a lot about the work of the artist that you were considering.
- This is recommended to see how the artist deals with its clients.
- Make sure how the artist keeps his tools and belongings because one of the most important things that you need to take care of is proper sterilization of the tools.
- Many home-based studio artists might lack this bit so it is recommended to do your studio research really well.
- This will also tell you a lot about the artist’s own personality and the way of his work.
B. WAIT FOR YOUR FAVORITE ARTIST
As we have said it out loud you must note it in bold letters. Yes, it is really important to choose one of the finest artists for your tattoo because it is only an artist that makes or ruins the tattoo dream for you.
- If by any chance you are actually looking at the price tag attached with the artist then you certainly are not meant to have a tattoo.
- Great artists have long waiting lists, as long as even a year but the wait is actually going to be worth it despite all the pain.
- Even if you don’t get a chance with your favorite artist look for the one that comes second best right after your favorite one.
C. DON’T DECIDE YOUR TATTOO IN A HURRY
You are definitely not going shoe shopping so you must not do about an hour long useless research on the internet and go for a design that you think looks only cute.
- Go for a tattoo that actually seems to have a deeper connection with you.
- Don’t go after googled images or the ones that are commonly shared on social platforms. Research according to your will and take as much time as your heart desires.
- Come up with something that is unique and has a strong meaning attached with it.
- Because images picked up only through web search are often found to be too common.
D. TEST A TATTOO BEFORE GETTING THE WORK DONE
This might be the ultimate cause of a tattoo gone wrong when people are actually not clear to their artists about any kind of past skin allergies that they may have had or are having, just out of fright that a tattoo artist might let them down.
- Never really risk your life for something that might not be worth it after all. If you are actually allergic to stuff like lead, lipstick ingredients or any other cosmetic substance then the key is to get a small area of your skin tested before you begin with the tattooing process.
You can even consult your skin specialist before going to an actual tattoo artist and ask the doctor to run a couple of tests that can easily identify if there is any kind of possibility for you to develop an allergic reaction post a tattoo.
E. GO WITH GOOD VIBES AND BELIEVE IN COMMUNICATION
How do you feel when you come across a stranger and they tend to give the world’s sweetest smile and you can’t help but resist the beauty of that moment? Things have to be pretty much the same in almost everything that we do in life; it has to be filled with good emotions and positive vibes. Since, there are people who are immediately attracted or repulsed by other peoples’ aura as soon as they meet them.
- It has been shared by many people that they have been brutally rejected by artists’ moments after they have entered their studio, though there has been no exchange of any strong words or demonstration of physical arrogance but the artist didn’t bet their time on them.
- This often occurs when the artist after taking a quick glance over the prospective client carefully deduce a long list of facts that often end up true about them and they feel no pressure into indulge themselves in a client that might end up arguing over a dollar.
- Another matter of significance is that when you have finally booked your tattoo artist and you have arrived closer to your day of final appointment make sure you have communicated your demands and needs with respect to your design as clearly as possible because the clearer the artist’s vision the better the tattoo.
F. RECHECK AND PROOFREAD TO SAVE EMBARRASSMENT
Even Masters in Literature make the stupidest of mistakes when it comes to spelling based or grammatical errors, but as long as it isn’t hurting someone the mistake is nothing critical.
- This doesn’t however apply to someone who is intending to have a huge scripture tattooed on to their chest.
- Whenever you are planning to have even a single word tattooed on your body always recheck and thoroughly proofread again and again.
- Don’t hesitate to get it checked by someone else because at times your eyes go bling over a simple mistake that lies right in front of the eyes and a second person can easily identify it for you.
- Having a misspelled or grammatically incorrect tattoo is nothing but a huge load of embarrassment.
G. TATTOOS WILL HURT AND SO WILL THEY FADE
Why wouldn’t it hurt when a needle is actually pricking though your skin at such an enormous speed? I mean yes all people who have intended to get a tattoo are perfectly affair of the painful part of the tattoo but they are still determined as they know what holds right beyond the pain.
- It is known that some parts of the body hurt far greater than the rest of the body.
- But the pain certainly varies from person to person and their individual ability to bear the pain.
- The most painfully endangered parts are the ribs, the fingers and *ehem* the butt. Some also recommend grabbing a painkiller quickly after you are done with the tattoo as it may suppress the pain as soon as possible. However, it is never recommended to take one before the process to avoid unnecessary bleeding.
- Yes tattoos despite being permanent fade away. This happens when the dermis layer of the skin is constantly exposed to direct sunlight and the UV rays damage the inked portions that are then discarded by the body as bad cells.
- Fingers and knuckles being the most exposed parts of the body suffer from maximum tattoo fading.
H. GETTING A DIP WITHIN TWO WEEKS AFTER A TATTOO IS PROHIBITED
There is a long list of precautions that one has to take care of once they have committed on to getting a tattoo. Nothing beautiful comes as easy as it might seem but the art of tattooing is pretty difficult when you come to know of it, in depth.
- Clients are not recommended to get into any kind of water body that is based on chemical ingredients like swimming pools, hot tubs, or even lakes.
- To avoid is a better option than to grow an infection.
- Till then it is recommended that you go only through quick and clean showers.
- Avoid direct contact with sunlight; if you have gotten a tattoo that can be hidden and covered by a piece of clothing then do so to avoid any fading of color.
- Otherwise, cover up your tattooed skin with sunscreen to protect the tattoo.
Having Second Thoughts
Now you must have gotten an awesome and amazing tattoo right when you got 15 but to look back at it that Popeye The Sailor man on your arm is not a good idea 15 years later that it was at that time.
- Laser removal treatment is one way to get rid of tattoos for girls that are now more misery than pleasure.
- But to convince yourself for a laser surgery is far difficult then to get a tattoo because of the immense pain associated with it.
- Also it is best to remove a black ink based tattoo rather than a colored tattoo. Laser removal surgeries are also not a guaranteed form to get rid of the tattoos.
- You might end up having faded colored scare left on the body and this might end up far disgusting then when it had the actual tattoo over it.
Types of Tattoos In General Term
We have understood the liability and importance of color and gradiance in designing some amazing and worth every penny, tattoos. However the art of tattooing isn’t only about decorating the body, there is a huge history attached with the art of tattooing. Even the American Academy for Dermatology has made their way into distinctively categorizing tattoos based on the purpose they serve.
A. Traumatic Tattoo
The notion of a traumatic tattoo might seem odd to a few people but yes the appearance of a tattoo as a result of a traumatic incident is actually valid and real. But the nature of the trauma is not a roadside accident or a bike fall; it is completely different to what one might actually perceive.
- Traumatic tattoos are caused by the implantation of substances like coal dust; lead and asphalt accidentally enter the second layer of the body during an accident.
- These accidents are not the ones that one usually suffers, people that in a direct contact with such substances like road workers, coal mine workers etc. go through a sever accident in which there skin gets damaged it is thus known that often such substances enter their skin and cause permanent marking.
- Kids can also cause such kind of traumatic tattoo markings to themselves or one another if they are too fond of poking each other with lead based pencils.
B. Identification Tattoos
As of what it sounds these tattoos were actually given for pure identification purposes. Some tattoos even have really horrid memories attached with them. Mostly used at the time of war survivors still can see them and remember each and everything from the beginning.
- Identification tattoos were tattoos given to either prisoners or slaves in the earliest empires.
- The latest such known use came to surface when Nazis used tattoos to identify prison inmates and determined their course of action against them.
- Identification tattoos have a long history associated with slavery where slaves were tattooed with either the words, ‘tax paid’ or ‘stop me, I’m a runaway’. Both of which if though of today was extremely humiliating.
- The Maori people who have been known to use the art of Moko to sacredly cover their face in tattoos were identified of their class, lineage and position by those tattoos.
C. Cosmetic Tattoos
This might be an eye opening and insightful paragraph for women who are too much tired of setting up their eyebrows or areas on the face where they have tried all kinds of chemical based and even natural ingredients to bring about the change that they desire. Cosmetic tattoos are the remedy for such petty issues.
- One main purpose of cosmetic tattoos is to redefine your eyebrows. Many women suffer from insufficient hair on their brows due to some genetic or medical issue. These women then opt for cosmetic tattooing that make a huge impact on their personality.
- Women also commonly go for cosmetic tattooing to permanently add some sort of basic facial makeup that reduces the time for them to get ready in the morning for the rest of their lives.
- Such makeup includes, lip lining, brow definition, fancy moles etc.
D. Medical Tattoos
Medical tattoos might seem a little bite weird to understand in the beginning but once dwelled in to the topic one will understand the sole purpose of why tattoos are rather opted in the field of medicine for certain issues despite its permanence.
- A highly used application of medical tattooing in today’s world is reconstruction of skin coloring of vitiligo sufferers.
- Now the process is not as easy as it might seem and the patient has to go through several sittings in order to get a firm result.
- Other than this tattoo marking are used on the body of patients when places have to be identified again and again in procedures like radiotherapy where tools need to be inserted into the body over the same place, always.
E. Functional Tattoos
These tattoos might seem important but the truth is that such tattooing can be exempted if there is no hard need of the occasion.
- Functional tattoos are mostly tattoos of identification material on the bodies of patients suffering from mental disorders like Alzheimer’s or Dementia.
- This is done so to make the identification and then the transfer of the patient easily as per the details tattooed on the body.
Despite having the whole of Internet at your disposal still there’s a lot to be known about tattoos that might really shock a lot of people even those who have claimed to be self-proclaimed tattoo gurus. The next time you have an appointment with your tattoo artist have some tallying their knowledge with the ones you just gathered.
- Out of the 100% American population, only 19% men are indulged in tattooing in comparison to over 23% women who beat them off the charts.
- There are only about 36% young adults in the age range of about 18-26 years old that have been found to have tattoos while about 40% of adults in the age range of 28-40 are fond of tattooing.
- Despite a large number of educated populations, Tattoo still remains the most misspelled word in the world, with common mistakes like, Tattoe, Tato and Tatoo.
- Although being more in number, women are likely known to get rid of a tattoo through different means than men.
- The first ever tattoo artist to start its work in America, was a German who immigrated to Boston somewhere in the year 1846.
- Most commonly mistaken, a tattoo is not on the superficial layer of the skin rather the needle punctures right through the epidermis in to the dermis layer where the skin cells are far more stable than those on epidermis.
- There is actually a part on the tattoo known as a Holiday, it is basically the area where the artist might have accidentally missed a small spot or the tattoo might have changed shape during the healing process.
- Of all the different kinds of tattoos mentioned there’s one made out of UV ink, tattoos made out of this ink are known and proved to be completely invisible in broad daylight and are visible only under special ultraviolet light.
- One famous creation is known as the Hula girl, who was designed and engraved with such perfection that it allowed the client to actually get his Hula girl dancing just by moving his bicep.
- Laser removal surgery uses the technique to breakdown the colored cells, which with time are then carried away by the immune system to be discarded. The black ink is the easiest to get rid as it works well in absorbing the radiations while green and yellow are the hardest to get rid of.
- An ancient Mummy belonging to 3000 BC after being rediscovered was found to be the oldest found mummy to ever have visible tattoos on the body.
- People frequently opt for animal tattoos, as they tend to identify themselves with the soul of the respective animal.
- The designs displayed by an artist in the studio are known as ‘Flash’, clients have the liberty to choose from any of the flash or they can start their work with a custom built design. As getting a tattoo done out of a flash is just like getting stuff out of the rack.
- The pain while getting a tattoo can be identified as getting stung by a bee or even like getting bad sunburn.
- Some artists are known to retouch your tattoo, for life.
- Surprisingly Urine was once used to mix up different tattoo colors.
- The tattoo machine is comprised of 4 parts that is the needle, the tube that is known to hold the ink, an ever-needed electric motor and sewing machine like peddle.
- You are known to be pricked between 50-3,000 times a minute while you are being tattooed.
- Americans are known to be crazy after tattoos and are known to spend over $1.65 billion dollars per annum just getting tattoos.
- You might need to the most favorable and famous spots to get a tattoo on are; foot, lower back, neck, breasts, armband, the arms, chest, feet and the ankles.
Final Words On Girls Tattoos
There was a time when tattoos were considered a man thing, but tattoos for girls have reached great heights of popularity today, with common girls as well as celebrities endorsing this amazing form of body art. Some of the most popular designs are hearts, flowers, stars, moon, butterflies, birds, tribal tattoos and jewelry tattoos. The spots where these tattoos are featured are ankles, wrists, fingers, neck, back, shoulder, arms and legs.
500 Girls Tattoos Ideas