DIY hair mask is made by those natural ingredients which can boost hair growth, keep your hair moisturized and give you stronger and shinier hair without investing so much money. Here we are sharing with you some DIY hair mask recipes, their ingredients are easily found in your kitchen.
Recommended: Don’t leave without reading our guide to goddess braids styles!
Best DIY Hair Masks To Try In 2019
25. BANANA MASK FOR DRY HAIR
If your hair is damaged by any chemical reaction or any hair product which does not suit your hair. So you should try this banana mask to fix that damage. Banana has potassium, minerals and amino acids which help your hair to balance its pH level and give them strength. For the mask you need:
- 1 banana
- 1 TBSP almond oil or olive oil.
- Blend banana and oil together until it becomes a good paste, now separate your hair in 2 parts and apply the mask.
- from roots to tips, cover your head and wash it after 30 minutes to get smooth locks.
24. EGG MASK FOR DRY HAIR
Moisturizing hair is not difficult now, you can use your kitchen ingredients easily to make the best hair mask. Eggs are high in protein which is also an important nutrient for hair. Egg mask can give your hair new life from dull to shiny. For the mask you need:
- 2 eggs yolk.
- 2 to 3 TBSP olive oil.
- Separate the egg yolks in a bowl, add olive oil in it and mix it until it becomes a smooth and creamy mask. Apply the mask from roots to tips, it’s good to little wet your hair before applying the mask.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it about 20 to 30 minutes, try to use cool or luke warm water to wash your hair. You will feel the immediate effects of this mask in your hair.
23. YOGURT FOR DRY HAIR
It works as a natural conditioner for dry and frizzy hair. Yogurt contains lactic acid which helps to nourish the scalp, removes the dead skin and helps to grow the hair stronger. For making this deep conditioning mask you need:
- 2 TBSP yogurt.
- ½ tsp coconut oil.
- 1 TBSP honey.
- Mix all the ingredients together and massage it on your scalp, leave it for 20 minutes to set, than wash it. This treatment is good to restore your hair growth.
22. MAYONNAISE HAIR MASK
Mayonnaise is known as one of the best conditioners because it has fats and protein which are building masses. This helps to restore the moisture of hair and gives them flexibility and strength. You can directly apply mayonnaise to your hair, just you have to take 2 or 3 TBSP mayonnaise according to your hair length, apply it directly then comb the hair to work scrupulously. Now cover your head with a cap, in this mask, it is important to heat the hair, ti will help the mayonnaise sink in perfectly into your hair for this you can use dryer. After that wash it simply with your regular shampoo.
21. HONEY HAIR MASK
Honey is the best natural moisturizer for dry damaged hair. It can feed hair follicles by antioxidants which are present in honey. The nutrients present in honey are very powerful for damaged hair to make them soft and shiny. For the honey mask, you just need; ¼ cup raw honey and water. Mix honey in water according to your hair length. This mixture should be runny, so it will be easily applied to hair and scalp. Leave it for 30 minutes and then rinse it with warm water.
20. APPLE CIDER VINEGAR AND HONEY FOR HAIR
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) will give shine to your dry and dull locks. It works as a natural conditioner. For this mask you need:
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
Mix them together and apply it like shampoo on damp hair. Let it sit for 20 minutes then rinse it with warm water.
19. ACV RINSE FOR DRY HAIR
Apple cider vinegar is used as a beauty regimen, it is suitable for skin and hair both for hair it works like a normal detangle, refresh your hair and gives them a suave and shiny look. For making ACV rinse you just need:
- Half a cup of water.
- Half cup Apple Cider Vinegar.
Mix them in a spray bottle for better result. After shampoo your hair, spray the mixture into your scalp and massage it, leave it for few minutes so that scalp absorbs the acv well. Afterward wash your hair, after using ACV rinse you will no need of conditioner.
18. CORN-STARCH FOR DRY HAIR
Corn-starch is really easy to apply, you just need 1 TBSP corn starch and pour it in salt and pepper shaker, now sprinkle it over your hair, after few minutes brush your hair and set them, this mask has no need of washing.
17. MASK OF BAKING SODA FOR DRY HAIR
Baking soda is a very effective remedy for dry hair, you can use it instead of daily shampoo, and this will leave incredible results on your hair. Shampoos of different brands contain some harmful chemicals which dried out hair. For this treatment you need:
- Baking soda.
- Some essential oil.
Take 1 part of baking soda and three parts of water, mix them well and apply into your hair from roots to ends, let it sit for a few minutes then wash it with water normally after that takes one part vinegar, 3 to 4 part water and add a few drops of any essential oil for eliminating the smell of vinegar, rinse your hair with this mixture after that wash hair with cold water, you will feel the instant shine and silkiness.
16. ALOE VERA FOR DRY HAIR
Aloe gel is best for both; excessive oil control and dry scalp. Aloe Vera helps to prevent dandruff. It is best for that hair which dyed frequently, it has the power to restore your hair from damage. You can apply aloe vera directly with a combination of shampoo, conditioner and oil. Here is the complete treatment process:
- Try to use sulfate free shampoo because it causes dryness.
- Now apply aloe gel with gentle massage on scalp for about 15 minutes and wash it.
- Use a deep conditioner and cover your head, after 20 minutes wash it.
- In the end, apply jojoba oil for moisturizing your scalp.
- The perfect combination of egg shampoo, aloe gel, and jojoba oil and cure dryness.
15. ALOE VERA GEL AND COCONUT OIL CONDITIONER FOR DRY HAIR
Aloe Vera and coconut oil work together smartly and cure the dryness very well. For remedy you need:
- ¼ cup aloe vera gel.
- ¼ cup coconut oil well and apply it after shampoo, leave it for 15 minutes and then wash it. This will be a really effective and highly recommended conditioner for dry damaged hair caused by ironing, blow dye, etc.
14. MAPLE SYRUP FOR DRY HAIR
Maple syrup is best for dehydrated hair, it is perfect to deal with dry and frizzy hair and you can use it with coconut oil or apply it directly. For the mask:
- 3 TBSP Maple syrup.
- 1 tsp honey.
Stir them well, apply it on dry hair and comb with a wide tooth comb to absorb it completely. Cover your head with a shower cap and leave it for 20 minutes. Then rinse it normally.
Recommended Next: Don’t miss our guide on hairstyles for round faces!
13. OLIVE OIL FOR DRY HAIR
Olive oil has extra energy to healthier your hair, it has antioxidants which help your hair to grow fast. If you can afford to use extra virgin olive oil it is more effective anti-fungal and best for dandruff. For this treatment you need:
- half cup olive oil.
- 1 cup of coconut oil.
Mix them together in a glass jar and save it. Massage with this oil mixture to get healthier locks.
12. HONEY CONDITIONER FOR DRY HAIR
Honey is also used as a conditioner, it is best to keep hydrated your locks. Take honey and your regular conditioner together mix and apply on your scalp, leave it for 30 minutes to work properly then rinse it with cold water.
11. PAPAYA MASK FOR DRY HAIR
You definitely heard about incredible papaya impacts over your skin, so as it is also for hair. Yes, the papaya has natural enzymes and minerals which nourish hair and make them softer. For the mask you need:
- 1 papaya.
- ½ cup yogurt.
Mash the papaya well until no chunks left, mix it in already beaten yogurt.
It will look like a gel, apply it on your hair and leave it about 45 minutes to an hour then wash it. You can use this mask once in a week to get smooth and shiny hair.
10. PAPAYA AND HONEY MASK
This is another incredible mask of papaya. For this mask you need:
- Half mashed papaya.
- 2 TBSP olive oil.
- 1 tsp honey.
Mix all of them well, and apply it from roots to tips, you can leave this mask as long as you want. Wash it with cold water, use shampoo if needed.
9. OATMEAL MASK FOR DRY HAIR
Another best natural product, Oatmeal are also good for dry damaged hair, they work with milk and other ingredients, here is the recipe:
- Half cup oats.
- 2 TBSP almond oil.
- Half cup milk.
Mix them well, brush your hair and make them tangle free now apply this mask from roots to tips and leave it for half an hour after that rinse your hair with warm water and shampoo it.
8. AVOCADO FOR DRY HAIR
Avocado is the best remedy to cure dry and damaged hair, it repairs the locks generously and leaves the smooth effect on them. For the mask you need:
- Half Avocado.
- 1 egg.
- 1 TBSP honey.
- 2 tsp essential oil.
Mash the avocado and beat the egg well in a bowl, now mix them together, add honey and essential oil, put it in a refrigerator to set, then apply it on your hair with the help of a brush. This mask will apply after shampooing on wet hair and leave it for about 30 minutes then rinse it.
7. MASK FOR DRY SPLIT ENDS
Shea butter is best for treating dry split ends. Splits are the result of dry hair which gets damaged from ends, just take Shea butter in your hand and massage over your damp hair, leave it to dry no need to wash your hair, after few days you will see the magical effect of Shea butter, the split end will get rid easily.
6. COCONUT CREAM MASK FOR DRY HAIR
This mask is easy but little time-consuming. You just need coconut cream, warm it in your hand and apply into your hair directly, cover your head with a warm towel and leave the mask for about 1 hour so it will be absorbed by hair and scalp properly after that use a mild shampoo to wash it.
5. CLARIFIED BUTTER AS A CONDITIONER
Again an extravagant remedy, you can find clarified butter easily in the kitchen and you can try this remedy in the kitchen hours.
Take some clarified butter about 2 TBSP, quantity depends on hair length.
Massage over your scalp and hair properly, if you want deep conditioning to leave this for about 1 hour and wash it. Maybe its fragrance will not sooth you but concentrate on your hair they will completely moisturize with this treatment.
4. STRAWBERRY FOR DRY HAIR
Usually, we heard about strawberry face pack, but today we are giving you the strawberry hair mask it will give the glossy shine to dry hair, this luscious fruit is very helpful to keep your hair hydrated and combats against dryness. For making the mask you have to need:
- 4 to 5 strawberries.
- Some yogurt.
- Olive oil or coconut oil it’s up to you.
- 1 egg.
Take yogurt in a bowl, crushed all the strawberries and mix them, make a fine paste, add whole egg in it n blend them well, in the end, mix the oil. Apply this mask from roots to tips, massage gently to penetrate the mask into the scalp.
Leave this for 30 minutes then wash it out with cold water, washing out this mask is not an easy task because hair gets sticky after it. Apply conditioner and shampoo after that.
3. FENUGREEK SEEDS
Dry hair mostly have the problem of itchy scalp and dandruff, Fenugreek seeds pack is most effective for fighting against dandruff, it has anti-fungal properties.
- Take 3 TBSP fenugreek seeds, soak them in water.
- Make a paste of seeds in a grinder.
- Add one lemon juice in this paste.
- Now apply it over your hair.
- Then wash it after 15 minutes.
2. HIBISCUS FOR DRY HAIR
Dry hair can be damaged easily and it’s really hurting when you get your broken hair in your hand while brushing, hibiscus will give strength to your hair.
Take some petals of hibiscus and soak them in water whole night.
- Then blend it in milk and olive oil.
- Now it’s ready to apply on your hair
- Leave it for half an hour
- Wash your hair with cold water.
- This pack is best for damaged locks.
1. MASK OF BANANA SHAKE
This is a bit strange to think about applying banana shake into your hair instead of drinking, but it’s very effective for making your hair shiny and tranquil. Banana and milk will bring miracles to dry and frizzy hair, the lifeless hair will become smooth, shiny and lustrous. For Mask:
- 2 Bananas.
- 1 cup Milk.
- Honey (it’s optional).
- Cocoa powder or peach.
Mix all ingredients well with the help of a blender. Apply the mask gently to your hair and leave it for 20 minutes, it is imperative to apply all over hair perfectly to work the mask, it is a bit difficult to wash this mask properly so maybe it will take some time, don’t apply it in rush otherwise you will not get the entire benefits of this mask. The best thing of this mask is you can drink the leftovers so nothing will be wasted. This is the best treatment for getting silky and smooth locks, remember if you are using peach, it will help to treat broken hair. So we can say it is the perfect cure for dry and damaged hair.
Recommended: Check out our guide to updo hairstyles for long hair next!
- Try to use any home remedy on weekends or in leisure hour.
- Consider the hair treatment massage as stress relieving function.
- Wisely select the remedy according to your hair needs.
- Use fresh ingredients for any remedy as much as possible as you can because fresh ingredients effect much better.
- Prefer natural remedies over artificial or unnatural remedies like shampoo, conditioners, etc.
- Do not use any treatment on the time of going somewhere, these are time taking techniques.
- If you have plant allergy so don’t use aloe vera it can cause skin eruptions.
- Excessive usage of hair products also causes damage so try to avoid excess ironing, dyeing, etc.
- Do not use remedies simultaneously or in a hurry without the proper check of your hair need.